Mediterranean spur thigh in Spain

Special area devoted to all aspects of feeding tortoises and turtles.

Mediterranean spur thigh in Spain

Postby Chadwickclare » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:30 pm

Hi we have recently moved to Spain and brought our tortoise (Mediterranean spur thighed)with us. I have had a tortoise for 40 years. I have one in England who I've had for 30 years and my present one I've had 6 years but he is about 13 and he has lived indoors (not in a vivarium but free roaming) he has always eaten hearts of romaine, little gem and cucumber plus dandelions and pooed once or twice a week and sometimes needed a bath to help. Since moving here he poo's 3/4 times a day and I cannot fill him. It's obviously 30 plus degrees he eats the same but no dandelions here. I have tried hibiscus flowers, prickly paw cactus leaves and other local weeds but he isn't interested. He keeps eating our toes and seems always hungry but has his cucumber then it comes out like slugs. He hasn't got worms and seems happy but it's driving me potty. I don't know what else to feed him either to bung him up.
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone
Chadwickclare

Re: Mediterranean spur thigh in Spain

Postby AliTBimbo » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:22 pm

Hi

Here is a link to purchase some Pre Alpin - you soak it is water before feeding and it is very high fibre

http://www.tortoiselady.co.uk/page7.htm

My spur thigh sometimes seems restless especially when hot, and settles after a long drink in his bath

Hope this helps :)
Regards,

Ali

1:0:0 TGG Spur Thigh Fred
0:0:1 TGI Spur Thigh Baby Barnaby

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/jillmartinfund
http://www.fredandbarnaby.co.uk
Twitter @AliTBimbo
AliTBimbo
Wiki Editor
Wiki Editor

Postby Clara » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:11 pm

The tortoise table is a great resource for identifying a wide variety of weeds and wild flowers that you can try.

www.thetortoisetable.org.uk

Hope it helps,
Clara
Clara

Postby Tortoise Trust » Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:24 am

There is zero reason to be feeding lettuce or cucumber to tortoises living in Spain. Completely unnecessary. Let them adjust to the natural cycles here. Most places in Spain are surrounded by the exact diet they really need.
Tortoise Trust

Postby Graham Ray » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:14 am

Mulberry leaves, Hibiscus leaves and flowers ,Opuntia pads , Honeysuckle flowers , Campsis flowers ,Jacaranda flowers are just a few. Feed some of these when they are dried as well . (They don't look appetising but are their natural food . Go onto THE TORTOISE TABLE website and sort through for plants that grow in your area. As Andy says there's plenty in Spain for tortoises to eat , Its their natural habitat. Lettuce only as a last resort but then no crisp lettuces theres nothing of advantage in them except water.

http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/plan ... bd2mOQUnIU
Please consider the environment before printing this post!!

Graham.
Graham Ray

Postby Graham Ray » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:20 am

If he's not interested don't feed him for three days and then only offer these foods not cucumber or lettuce . He'll eat them when he's hungry.
Please consider the environment before printing this post!!

Graham.
Graham Ray

Postby Sandy » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:14 am

Graham Ray wrote:If he's not interested don't feed him for three days and then only offer these foods not cucumber or lettuce . He'll eat them when he's hungry.

I agree with Stuart, dont feed your tortoise for a few days, as they are very stubbon, and will hold out for the junk food rather than whats good for them:0)
It took me over three months to get a older male ibera off of junk foods. But he now eats the good foods:0)
They seem to know you will give in first:0) :0)
Sandy
< >
\0/
/_\
Sandy

Postby Stuart » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:51 pm

Sandy wrote: I agree with Stuart

:) Thanks, but it wasn't me - it was Graham!
Stuart
Hermanns (old female and 5 home-bred offspring), iberas (two), kbn (rescue), leopard, horsfield (rescue), stars (2 - long term loan), red-eared sliders (5)
Stuart
Wiki Editor
Wiki Editor

Postby Sandy » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:58 pm

Stuart wrote:
Sandy wrote: I agree with Stuart

:) Thanks, but it wasn't me - it was Graham!

Sorry Graham, must have been senior moment:0)
Sandy
< >
\0/
/_\
Sandy

Return to Feeding and Nutrition