Nutrobal and vitamin D3

Special area devoted to all aspects of feeding tortoises and turtles.

Nutrobal and vitamin D3

Postby Itismenat » Thu May 10, 2018 7:15 pm

So, I have read a lot from Tortoisetrust. That is why I got Nutrobal for my Hermann’s hatchling. It was said that I am supposed to use it every day but after yeasterday’s visit at a vet office I am confused. This vet is recommended by your website and I know they are very good as I can compare now them with the previous vet.

She said that if Nutrobal contains vitamin D3, I should avoid it and find one without it as I use (of course) UVB lightning. I checked and yes, my Nutrobal contains a lot of this vitamin.

Could you refer to this, please?
Itismenat

Re: Nutrobal and vitamin D3

Postby Tortoise Trust » Sat May 12, 2018 8:40 am

Yes. The vet is wrong.

Sadly, even they may have some knowledge of treating tortoises it does not mean they are experts either on their behaviour or on husbandry.
Tortoise Trust

Postby Itismenat » Sat May 12, 2018 4:43 pm

Andy,

She said that if a torotise takes vitamin D3 and also is exposed to UVB light, it is too much of this vitamin and his liver can be damaged. So, this is not truth?

She recommended calcium without D3 every day and just once a week vitamins with no D3.
Itismenat

Postby AliTBimbo » Sun May 13, 2018 7:46 am

There would have to be a very large excess for overdose to occur, it is highly highly unlikely that your hatchling could even eat too much of it from Nutrobal - you could alternate days with natural limestone flour if you wanted to put your mind at ease
Regards,

Ali

1:0:0 TGG Spur Thigh Fred
1:0:0 TGI Spur Thigh Barnaby

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/jillmartinfund
http://www.youniqueproducts.com/alitaylor
http://www.fredandbarnaby.co.uk
Twitter @AliTBimbo
AliTBimbo
Wiki Editor
Wiki Editor

Postby Itismenat » Sun May 13, 2018 4:24 pm

AliTBimbo wrote:There would have to be a very large excess for overdose to occur, it is highly highly unlikely that your hatchling could even eat too much of it from Nutrobal - you could alternate days with natural limestone flour if you wanted to put your mind at ease

Thank you, Ali.
I am going to use Nutrobal every day.
Itismenat

Postby Tortoise Trust » Mon May 14, 2018 7:30 am

Itismenat wrote:Andy,

She said that if a torotise takes vitamin D3 and also is exposed to UVB light, it is too much of this vitamin and his liver can be damaged. So, this is not truth?

She recommended calcium without D3 every day and just once a week vitamins with no D3.

The problem here is that this places 100% reliance upon 'natural synthesis' from artificial light. These lights can fail, be defective and not put out sufficient UVB levels, or the heat can be wrong (heat is a critical part of the synthesis mechanism). We encounter many, many cases of deficiency where this approach is adopted.

We used Nutrobal (with D3) daily for over 25 years. Not one single case of overdosing. Ever, with literally hundreds of tortoises.

The use of PURE D3, however, is potentially dangerous as very high levels can be given. This is not possible with Nutrobal which only contains trace levels to begin with.
Tortoise Trust

Postby Itismenat » Mon May 14, 2018 2:52 pm

Thank you, Andy
Itismenat

Return to Feeding and Nutrition