How much to feed...

Special area devoted to all aspects of feeding tortoises and turtles.

How much to feed...

Postby Tortoise Salad » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:23 am

Hello tortoise experts...

I can't seem to find the relevant article on how much to feed. Could anyone advise me on where to look?

My tortoise- I have an adult female Hermann. she seems to always want more food, so a good appetite, and lots of energy, very curious, but she often has loose poo and white urine.

I worry I'm not feeding her enough or the right kind of varied diet...

Diet- I pick vetch and dandelions (but not always available, so trying to grow some in the garden along with forget-me-nots, but it's taking time to grow) I also have opuntia, aloe vera, basil (not keen) mustard cress and spider plant in the greenhouse so far, but some foods she is selective about on some days, depending on the leaves age.

I buy dried food from The Tortoise Lady website, but my tortoise rarely touches that now

Cuttle fish- which she likes

Other than that I buy kale (sometimes eats), cucumber, mixed salad bags containing leaves such as lambs lettuce, which she will always eat if she doesn't like the home grow or home picked foods. She goes straight for the watery foods like cucumber, as if she is not hydrated enough maybe (I rarely see her drinking water)

I think that's everything, Thanks :)
Tortoise Salad
 
Posts: 40
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:13 pm
Location: Cumbria UK

Re: How much to feed...

Postby Sandy » Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:08 pm

Tortoise Salad wrote:Hello tortoise experts...

I can't seem to find the relevant article on how much to feed. Could anyone advise me on where to look?

My tortoise- I have an adult female Hermann. she seems to always want more food, so a good appetite, and lots of energy, very curious, but she often has loose poo and white urine.

I worry I'm not feeding her enough or the right kind of varied diet...

Diet- I pick vetch and dandelions (but not always available, so trying to grow some in the garden along with forget-me-nots, but it's taking time to grow) I also have opuntia, aloe vera, basil (not keen) mustard cress and spider plant in the greenhouse so far, but some foods she is selective about on some days, depending on the leaves age.

I buy dried food from The Tortoise Lady website, but my tortoise rarely touches that now

Cuttle fish- which she likes

Other than that I buy kale (sometimes eats), cucumber, mixed salad bags containing leaves such as lambs lettuce, which she will always eat if she doesn't like the home grow or home picked foods. She goes straight for the watery foods like cucumber, as if she is not hydrated enough maybe (I rarely see her drinking water)

I think that's everything, Thanks :)



Tortoises need a high fiber diet, so feeding a lot of salad foods and too much opuntia can cause loose stools. Cucumber should only be fed in moderation as it has no real nuitrician (sp) apart from water. Tortoises will always eat tomatoes, cucumber and lettuce foods first as they are like junk foods for tortoises:0)
They need dandelions, plantains, sowthistle, vetch, lavetera, bellflower just to name a few.
I am not sure which Tortoise lady you follow, but the original and well informed TL is Linda King www.tortoises.net an excellent source if information. With a great booklet of plants with pictures:0)
Sandy
< >
\0/
/_\
Sandy
 
Posts: 2829
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:15 am
Location: Kent

Re: How much to feed...

Postby Tortoise Salad » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:34 am

Thanks Sandy, that's really helpful. The one place weeds wont grow is in my garden :) but I'll try and get her off the junk food. I don't feed her fruit or tomatoes so that's a start. Yes Linda King, I think had a list of plants, but I found them hard to identify. I'll have a look at the booklet...
Tortoise Salad
 
Posts: 40
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:13 pm
Location: Cumbria UK

Re: How much to feed...

Postby Tortoise Salad » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:40 am

I'm not sure if it's the same Linda, I think it is, perhaps has a different surname now, but looks like a different website http://www.tortoiselady.co.uk/page6.htm
Tortoise Salad
 
Posts: 40
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:13 pm
Location: Cumbria UK

Re: How much to feed...

Postby Sandy » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:23 pm

Tortoise Salad wrote:I'm not sure if it's the same Linda, I think it is, perhaps has a different surname now, but looks like a different website http://www.tortoiselady.co.uk/page6.htm


I would only recommend Linda Kings site, as I have seen her set ups and know she has been on field trips finding out habitation and plants suitable for tortoises. And she has worked with a seed company to produce a good seed mix tortoises:0)
Sandy
< >
\0/
/_\
Sandy
 
Posts: 2829
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:15 am
Location: Kent

Re: How much to feed...

Postby Tortoise Salad » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:45 pm

… I just bought her booklet any way, so that should help.
Tortoise Salad
 
Posts: 40
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:13 pm
Location: Cumbria UK

Re: How much to feed...

Postby Tortoise Trust » Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:59 am

Very good book! Lin knows her stuff!
Tortoise Trust
 
Posts: 8895
Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:07 pm
Location: Almeria, Spain

Re: How much to feed...

Postby Tortoise Salad » Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:16 pm

Hi there,

Just a quick up date, as I''m still having some problems.

I've been using the Linda King book and taking in out with me on walks, but I usually only manage to collect maybe about half a days worth of weeds to feed, and I don't go out walking every day, a lot of the weeds I have been collecting from places where I know it grows like Hawksbeard and Vetch seem to be finishing now and the Dandelions are getting old and tough.


In the garden I have planted some seeds some months ago, but nothing is really growing at all apart from a few dandelions... So to fill in on what weeds I can't collect she is fed on salad bags from the supermarket.


How do you manage to keep your tortoises on a healthy diet????!


Thanks :)
Tortoise Salad
 
Posts: 40
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:13 pm
Location: Cumbria UK

Re: How much to feed...

Postby Sandy » Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:47 pm

Tortoise Salad wrote:Hi there,

Just a quick up date, as I''m still having some problems.

I've been using the Linda King book and taking in out with me on walks, but I usually only manage to collect maybe about half a days worth of weeds to feed, and I don't go out walking every day, a lot of the weeds I have been collecting from places where I know it grows like Hawksbeard and Vetch seem to be finishing now and the Dandelions are getting old and tough.


In the garden I have planted some seeds some months ago, but nothing is really growing at all apart from a few dandelions... So to fill in on what weeds I can't collect she is fed on salad bags from the supermarket.


How do you manage to keep your tortoises on a healthy diet????!


Thanks :)



To get lots of weeds for next year in your garden, you need to sow any seeds you have around the end of September or beginning of October. As some of the seeds need a cold spell to help them germinate. I would also sow some in pots and just let these go to seed, so you will have more weeds growing for the next year. It took me around three years to have enough weeds growing in my garden for five tortoises.
I also have at least three Hibiscus shrubs growing, and the flowers are now at their best, and the tortoises love them. Which is good as weeds will be scarce during this hot spell. I do feed more romaine lettuce in with the hibiscus flowers when it is as hot as it is here in the SE. But my tortoises get a good mix of weeds the rest of the year, so am not too worried. Another useful plant if you can get it is, Tree Mallow, this tends to be around most of the year, even in a cold Winter. And will self seed:0)
Sandy
< >
\0/
/_\
Sandy
 
Posts: 2829
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:15 am
Location: Kent

Re: How much to feed...

Postby Tortoise Salad » Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:09 pm

Thanks Sandy, that's really helpful, hopefully next year I will have more growing.

Is there any thing else I can buy from the supermarket, like Lambs Lettuce?

:)
Tortoise Salad
 
Posts: 40
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:13 pm
Location: Cumbria UK

Next

Return to Feeding and Nutrition

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron