Seeds for food for Hermanns

Special area devoted to all aspects of feeding tortoises and turtles.

Seeds for food for Hermanns

Postby markmcg » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:42 am

Hi all,

I'd like to start growing food for my Hermanns. Can anyone recommend somewhere online that I can order seeds from (that ships to Ireland)? Or are there any specific keywords that I should be searching for? Similarly, are there any common pitfalls that i should look out for while ordering online?

Cheers
Mark
My Tortoise's name is "Leeloominaï Lekatariba Lamina-Tchaï Ekbat De Sebat", or Lelu for short (The Fifth Element is my favourite film). She was born in August 2010 and kicks ass :)
markmcg

Re: Seeds for food for Hermanns

Postby JerryMaffz » Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:00 pm

I usually go on ebay for my seeds...Type in "Tortoise Seeds" in the search and there are lots of options.
Keith
JerryMaffz

Postby markmcg » Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:54 pm

I tried that before, but it seems there was a lot of grass seeds in there, and some stickleback as well. There were a couple of other plants that grew, but not much that she would eat. So I'm hoping someone can recommend a specific brand, or something they've bought that worked before.
My Tortoise's name is "Leeloominaï Lekatariba Lamina-Tchaï Ekbat De Sebat", or Lelu for short (The Fifth Element is my favourite film). She was born in August 2010 and kicks ass :)
markmcg

Postby Sandy » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:32 am

markmcg wrote:I tried that before, but it seems there was a lot of grass seeds in there, and some stickleback as well. There were a couple of other plants that grew, but not much that she would eat. So I'm hoping someone can recommend a specific brand, or something they've bought that worked before.

Herbie seed used to do a med tortoise mix, which Lin King who has done a lot of field work, helped them put together. Not sure if the still do this, but worth a try:0)
Sandy
< >
\0/
/_\
Sandy

Postby JerryMaffz » Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:52 pm

markmcg wrote:I tried that before, but it seems there was a lot of grass seeds in there, and some stickleback as well. There were a couple of other plants that grew, but not much that she would eat. So I'm hoping someone can recommend a specific brand, or something they've bought that worked before.

The mixed seeds aren't too great..The trick is to buy the separate species..Mallow,bittercress, plantain, nasturtium etc. They will all show on the same search.
Keith
JerryMaffz

Return to Feeding and Nutrition