horsfields and fruit

Special area devoted to all aspects of feeding tortoises and turtles.

horsfields and fruit

Postby karen54 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:27 pm

Can someone clear this up for me...I have never fed my Horsfield fruit but i have come across many web pages that say they can have fruit inc bananas and strawberries sparingly ... any Horsfield owners out their give theirs fruit?
karen54

Re: horsfields and fruit

Postby JerryMaffz » Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:26 pm

Fruit isn't supposed to be too good for non tropical torts. I guess it is the sugar content.
However, they would definitely eat one if they came across it in the wild.
My tortoise is given one piece of fruit a year....a strawberry...on his birthday!
Keith
JerryMaffz

Postby karen54 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:49 pm

ah a birthday strawberry how nice ...:)
karen54

Postby Sandy » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:29 am

JerryMaffz wrote:Fruit isn't supposed to be too good for non tropical torts. I guess it is the sugar content.
However, they would definitely eat one if they came across it in the wild.
My tortoise is given one piece of fruit a year....a strawberry...on his birthday!

This is how I treat my tortoises, if they find a blackberry or the like fallen in my garden, I dont worry. But I never actually feed them fruit, as too much can upset their gut flora, and cause problems. Natural finds are just natural and would happen in the wild:0)
Sandy
< >
\0/
/_\
Sandy

Postby Stuart » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:24 pm

karen54 wrote:Can someone clear this up for me...I have never fed my Horsfield fruit but I have come across many web pages that say they can have fruit inc bananas and strawberries sparingly ... any Horsfield owners out their give theirs fruit?

Well, I don't. My horsfield is a distorted, twisted rescue, having been given either the wrong diet or possibly too much of the right diet but without sufficient calcium in her formative early years...so I'm extra cautious about feeding unnatural foodstuffs now.

"Sparingly" would be the key word if following the advice of unknown others.
Stuart
Hermanns (old female and 6 home-bred offspring), iberas (two), kbn (rescue), leopard, horsfield (rescue), stars (2 - long term loan), redfoots (2), red-eared sliders (5)
Stuart
Wiki Editor
Wiki Editor

Postby Sandy » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:39 pm

karen54 wrote:Can someone clear this up for me...I have never fed my Horsfield fruit but i have come across many web pages that say they can have fruit inc bananas and strawberries sparingly ... any Horsfield owners out their give theirs fruit?

The keepers who feed fruit are inexperienced and like to give tortoises a treat, just like giving sweets to children. Far better to feed flowers as a treat:0)
My tortoises get hibiscus flowers or campanula flowers as their treat:0)
Sandy
< >
\0/
/_\
Sandy

Postby jan » Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:16 pm

Can anyone tell me where Andy Highfield has gone? He doesn’t appear to be involved with this web site any more.

Thank you,

Jan
Nothing will benefit human health and increase chances for survival of life on Earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet.
Albert Einstein
jan

Postby Sandy » Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:47 pm

jan wrote:Can anyone tell me where Andy Highfield has gone? He doesn’t appear to be involved with this web site any more.

Thank you,

Jan

Sorry Jan non of us seem to know:0(
Sandy
< >
\0/
/_\
Sandy

Postby Tortoise Trust » Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:39 pm

I am certainly here!

Andy