Increasing fibre intake - a practical guide

Special area devoted to all aspects of feeding tortoises and turtles.

Re: Increasing fibre intake - a practical guide

Postby Lawrence » Sat Jul 11, 2015 5:02 am

I will just have to be patient in that case. I think we need flash alerts to our emails when some vital bit of research is finally completed (:

Something interesting on this subject of calcium in plants, I learnt by accident that one of the highest calcium loaded plants in the supermarket are leaf lettuces primarily the dark green romaine one but also the other fancy frilly dark red bronzy ones etc.

Where I buy fertiliser and other garden supplies they sell hydroponics equipment and fertilisers in liquid form and one is pure calcium plus vit B1 or something, in a 5litre jerry can. They said it's for growing lettuce which needs a lot of it. I was thinking this would be good stuff to spray on the pasture however they wont sell it separately. There is a "set" of liquids A,B,C maybe D that you use in sequence to grow outstanding lettuces hydroponicaly, you have to buy the whole thing. They sell lettuces beautiful lettuces huge open and dark green, to almost black red. The leaves are quite unlike supermarket lettuces being almost leathery but not, sweet juicy tasty, a bit like kale in texture.

On Bali up in the hilly interior they grow incredible lettuce in their very fertile deep rich volcanic soils, maybe volcanic ash is a way to go? Wonder if wood ash is a bit similar?

Its obvious Im fishing rather blatantly for clues to Andy's research here......hmmmm [scratch head]
Herd of growing torts, birds and dogs of course.
Lawrence

Postby Kaarina.rantala » Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:54 am

Andy posted a link to this discussion and I think it is one of the most important pieces of advice I have gotten on feeding the tortoise. I went a bit overboard a year ago and dried so much weeds that still have half of it left. In retrospect, I should have understood that a palm-sized little tortoise would never eat a 70-litre bag of dried weeds in one winter ;)

One good thing about drying your weeds is that they last an eternity. So you can combine fresh store-bought salads, dried natural weeds and the plantings in the enclosure. Nice variety, since there is no overlap.
Kaarina Rantala
Testudo marginata born 9/2013 named Bolt
Finland husband and two boys Roy 5 and Dan 3
No previous experience of tortoises
Professional gardener and landscape designer my company: www.puutarhapalvelucreative.fi
Kaarina.rantala

Postby Kaarina.rantala » Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:15 pm

I want to share this video with you. This show Bolt the baby marginata swishing past all his edible plants to have a nibble of PreAlpin and Terra Flowers. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_EvTbTowv8
Kaarina Rantala
Testudo marginata born 9/2013 named Bolt
Finland husband and two boys Roy 5 and Dan 3
No previous experience of tortoises
Professional gardener and landscape designer my company: www.puutarhapalvelucreative.fi
Kaarina.rantala

Previous

Return to Feeding and Nutrition