Increasing fibre intake - a practical guide

Special area devoted to all aspects of feeding tortoises and turtles.

Re: Increasing fibre intake - a practical guide

Postby Bigjoe » Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:08 pm

Well they both devoured everything that we dehydrated over the last few days, a very distinctive snap as the food was eaten..
Now the waiting game...
Joe
Bigjoe

Postby Kaarina.rantala » Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:07 am

Do you mean the crunching sound? I find that succulents make the best sound, it's hilarious! I remember sitting in silence on the couch, and then SNAP! Suddenly alerted, I rush to the table to find a palm-sized hungry little Bolt munching a money plant.. And aloe resembles toffee both in desirability and eatability: the tortoise chews and flexes its jaws just like it got candy stuck on his teeth :lol:
Kaarina Rantala
Testudo marginata born 9/2013 named Bolt
Finland husband and two boys Roy 5 and Dan 3
No previous experience of tortoises
Professional gardener and landscape designer my company: www.puutarhapalvelucreative.fi
Kaarina.rantala

Postby Bigjoe » Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:55 pm

It still amazes me Kaarina the noise my two make while feeding,cuttlefish is my favourite ..
Joe
Bigjoe

Postby Bigjoe » Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:44 pm

Well the end result arrived today ,very fibrous and firm,the food dehydrator worked a real treat.
Joe
Bigjoe

Postby Tortoise Trust » Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:13 pm

Good to hear that! Certainly in the tests I ran, it made a very noticeable difference when compared directly to a typical 'wet weed' diet, and a phenomenal difference when compared to a 'supermarket salad' type diet.

It is easy to do, low cost to buy and operate, and really does bring the diet closer to the kind of fibre levels they consume in the wild.

Do keep sending in 'user reports' as these are very useful.
Tortoise Trust

Postby Bigjoe » Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:27 pm

Again today very fibrous and firm,I overlooked this last time ..smell test..not much really ,I can say nether examples smelled at all that they both did today.
Joe
Bigjoe

Postby Kaarina.rantala » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:36 pm

I have canged the diet drastically in the last 7weeks

Tortoise aquired 7weeks ago:
Two weeks on wet weeds+baths every second day: suffered severe painful-looking constipation, a huge load of soft urates released once
Three more weeks on wet weeds+daily baths: faecating black shiny tubes dotted with colourful dots. No urates
Thereafter two weeks on half dry (agrobs and my own), half wet weeds + daily baths: faecates daily in the bath, faeces so fibery they do not hold together in water. No urates

I do think adding entirely dry matter to his diet has helped achieve a natural, loose and fibery consistency. Just wet weeds did not do it.
Kaarina Rantala
Professional gardener and landscape designer my company: www.puutarhapalvelucreative.fi
Kaarina.rantala

Postby Bigjoe » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:49 pm

Good results again today from one of mine,I do agree Kaarina with you on the adding dry matter ,firm and fibery.very pleased with the food dehydrator ,especially if you need to overwinter ,pick , dry , store , feed...easy.

Joe
Bigjoe

Postby Kaarina.rantala » Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:26 am

Now the new fibrous dried herb diet has been on trial for several months. I must say the results are great in every aspect! Imagine a tortoise for months on end in an artificial tortoise table environment... Still, we get very fibrous faeces - actually they do not hold together in the bath, but are immediately broken down into fibres long and short, leaf remnants and the occasional soft urate. The color or his faeces is army green, never black.

Thank you Andy!! Luckily your post appeared just as it was getting cold and we collected and dried a huge sack of plantains, dandelions, nettles, flowers etc at the last moment before winter set in :? Bolt eats them with a healthy appetite, and He really seems to like the dried crumbies. I would say half of his diet consists of this dried food, the other half being fresh food from his surroundings in the tortoise table. It looks hilarious how he has nibbled all hibiscus leaves within his reach... Some leaves high up also bear the telltale marks of laeces -like edges... I suspect he has used the thick aloe leaves to climb to his dessert :D

I feel very confident Bolt is getting as good a diet as iI possibly can offer him in the dark winter months. He is nicely hydrated, produces very fibrous faeces and grows very slowly. And he feels really heavy compared to his size, like an overstuffed little pie :lol: this was really a wonderful piece of advice and has also saved us a fortune! Instead of buying green leafies from the shop, we have used our own herbs and weeds exclusively. Apart from the small trouble of collecting and drying, Feeding him a healthy and fibrous diet has been completely free of charge. I can imagine the savings mounting as he grows bigger.
Kaarina Rantala
Kaarina.rantala

Postby Stuart » Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:14 am

Kaarina.rantala wrote: I can imagine the savings mounting as he grows bigger.

Yes...but so will the amount that has to be picked and dried! :lol:

Good to know that he's doing so well.
Stuart
Hermanns (old female and 6 home-bred offspring), iberas (two), kbn (rescue), leopard, horsfield (rescue), stars (2 - long term loan), red-eared sliders (5)
Stuart
Wiki Editor
Wiki Editor

PreviousNext

Return to Feeding and Nutrition