How much food?

Special area devoted to all aspects of feeding tortoises and turtles.

How much food?

Postby Giles Boris » Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:56 pm

I am a very new tortoise keeper. My Horsfield tortoise weighs 76g is about 12-18 months old. He (she?) eats well and is active. I have studied all the forums and web pages, understand that one should not feed too much, but have very little idea of how much to feed. Do i feed everyday "enough to cover his shell"? Do I give him fasting days? He loves dandelions, pansies and plaintain. I am growing lambs lettuce for him. I would appreciate some guidelines. I plan to weigh him once a week, do I aim for 1 gram month? Thank you for any advice to avoid too much food, too fast growth.
Giles Boris

Re: How much food?

Postby Sandy » Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:58 pm

Giles Boris wrote:I am a very new tortoise keeper. My Horsfield tortoise weighs 76g is about 12-18 months old. He (she?) eats well and is active. I have studied all the forums and web pages, understand that one should not feed too much, but have very little idea of how much to feed. Do i feed everyday "enough to cover his shell"? Do I give him fasting days? He loves dandelions, pansies and plaintain. I am growing lambs lettuce for him. I would appreciate some guidelines. I plan to weigh him once a week, do I aim for 1 gram month? Thank you for any advice to avoid too much food, too fast growth.

Weighing tortoises once a month, helps with knowing how fast they are growing.
If they put on around 2- 3grms a month regularly then its about right. More than that, then it can lead to over growth. They will have the odd spurt of growth now and again. If you keep records of weight gain, you can see when this happens. This is only a guide:0)
Its more of a help than how much food to give them, as what one sees as a small amount, can be huge in tortoise terms:0)
Sandy
< >
\0/
/_\
Sandy

Return to Feeding and Nutrition