tortoise block

Special area devoted to all aspects of feeding tortoises and turtles.

tortoise block

Postby Sue Doxat » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:00 pm

Has anybody any experience or ideas about this tortoise block by zoo med I thought it might be useful for my t.g.g to help keep beak down plus it contains calcium sulfate, spineless opuntia cactus, dried carrots and suncured chopped alfalfa among other things. 4% crude fibre and 28% calcium???
Sue Doxat

Re: tortoise block

Postby Bigjoe » Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:00 pm

Hi Sue , carrot and alfalfa puts me off strait away,I'm lucky we have chalk pits all over the place here in kent,I use natural lumps of chalk that we just leave in the inclosure and table ,I'll also grind it down to powder and manageable smaller pieces for them to use,we have observerd both yours eating chalk summer last,of course good old cuttlefish bone is another favorite ..the more smelly and rotten the more they seem to enjoy,both good for beak and calcium and it's free and natural..if you want any chalk just pm me ..my workshop is built in an old chalk pit just outside Rochester
Hope this is of help to you.
Joe
Bigjoe

Postby Tortoise Trust » Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:18 am

There is seemingly no end to the inventive junk pet "accessory" manufacturers manage to think up... very profitable, I'm sure....

As Joe says, a lump of natural chalk would be preferable.
Tortoise Trust

Postby phoebe » Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:33 pm

My two like white chicken egg shells, baked in the oven to prevent disease. The happily munch on them
phoebe

Postby Bigjoe » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:14 pm

Just out of curiosity I've just purchased one from my local pet store,no intention of using it ,just interested in what happens when this product gets wet/ damp and soiled..I'll keep you posted..btw £4.99...
Joe
Bigjoe

Postby Sue Doxat » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:40 pm

Rather as I feared, thank you for replies. I do use natural chalk, cuttlefish bone but liked the idea of opuntia. The carrot content I thought might have been good as one tortoise vet said it could help against some worms.
Sue Doxat

Postby Tortoise Trust » Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:04 am

Natural, fresh carrot can have that effect, yes.

http://medicinalherbinfo.org/herbs/Carrot.html

Dried, highly processed and in small quantities - highly doubtful.
Tortoise Trust

Postby Bigjoe » Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:03 pm

Well I had trouble even cutting this with a serrated knife,not sure how a tortoise would be able to bite into this,we offerd both ours this before feeding today,both took only a slight interest in it,probably because it was something new in the tables..
None eaten at all.i must say its not very appealing or natural looking from my point,looks more like a block of soap I recall from school days..I have now removed from the tables and wetted slightly to see who long this will last and what will become of it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bigjoe

Postby Tortoise Trust » Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:23 am

Looks like Plaster of Paris as the binding agent....

Just checked. It is.

Interesting specification... less than 30% calcium, all in forms that are very suboptimal for use with tortoises.

Seriously, I would avoid this junk and stick with basic, proven, well-known supplements. If anyone relied on this as a main source of calcium, disaster awaits...
Tortoise Trust

Postby Tortoise Trust » Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:05 am

A bit more digging brings up...

Calcium Sulfate, Dried Nopales (Spineless Opuntia Cactus), Dried Carrot, Suncured Chopped Alfalfa, Dicalcium Phosphate, Niacin, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), Thiamine Hydrochloride, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Biotin, Beta-carotene, Artificial Tropical Fruit Flavor, Yellow 5, Blue 1.

"Yellow 5 is banned in Austria and Norway, and other European countries have issued warnings about their possible side effects. It is still freely and extensively used in the US, however"

"Blue 1: Synthetic dye produced using aromatic hydrocarbons from petroleum. Evidence suggests, though does not prove, that Blue 1, Blue 2, Green 3, Red 40 and Yellow 6 cause cancer in animals. There is certainly not “convincing evidence” of safety"

Source:

http://cspinet.org/new/pdf/food-dyes-ra ... -risks.pdf
Tortoise Trust

Next

Return to Feeding and Nutrition