Curly Kale?

Special area devoted to all aspects of feeding tortoises and turtles.

Curly Kale?

Postby Stuart » Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:25 pm

I've just bought some curly kale for the tortoises, because it is mentioned in Andy's Winter Feeding Guide as being OK.(Obviously as only one component of a wide and varied mixed diet)
I've by-passed it on the shelves in the past, because I thought it was a brassica - as,indeed, it is: brassica oleracea - and as such, was not a good idea.

Why is curly kale OK when cabbage, and other brassicas, aren't?
Stuart
Hermanns (old female and 6 home-bred offspring), iberas (two), kbn (rescue), leopard, horsfield (rescue), stars (2 - long term loan), red-eared sliders (5)
Stuart
Wiki Editor
Wiki Editor

Re: Curly Kale?

Postby Tortoise Trust » Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:49 am

As part of a mixed and varied diet, we felt that overall, its many benefits outweighed any points against.

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle ... curlykale1

http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/ ... okup=11234

Oxalate content is also at the low end of the spectrum for a brassica.
Tortoise Trust

Re: Curly Kale?

Postby Stuart » Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:46 pm

That's great, thanks! Calcium levels are useful, and presumably fibrousness of the darker greenstuffs is good for the digestive system, and it's nice to have something to add variety to Florette!

However, out gardening today (not in my own garden) I saw lots of plantains that have survived the winter, and the dandelions are a-growing, so perhaps my supermarket bills will begin to reduce!
Stuart
Hermanns (old female and 6 home-bred offspring), iberas (two), kbn (rescue), leopard, horsfield (rescue), stars (2 - long term loan), red-eared sliders (5)
Stuart
Wiki Editor
Wiki Editor

Return to Feeding and Nutrition