The Weed's Seem To Be Taking Forever to Come UP .

Special area devoted to all aspects of feeding tortoises and turtles.

The Weed's Seem To Be Taking Forever to Come UP .

Postby Tracy33 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:02 am

I Don't know where i go wrong , only i started growing them in early Feb . My tortoise is just eating very little of what's there . I have not got the hang of this yet . :roll:
ImageImageImage
Tracy33

Re: The Weed's Seem To Be Taking Forever to Come UP .

Postby Sandy » Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:16 am

Tracy33 wrote:I Don't know where i go wrong , only i started growing them in early Feb . My tortoise is just eating very little of what's there . I have not got the hang of this yet . :roll:
ImageImageImage

Are you feeding other foods?
As your tortoise might not be hungry if you are, or used to what you feed rather than eating growing weeds:0)
What are the clumps of weeds?
Sandy
< >
\0/
/_\
Sandy

Postby Kaarina.rantala » Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:00 pm

Tracy, did I understand correctly, that you have the weeds (and your enclosure plantings look very good to me!!!) but the gourmand will not sample what is on the menu? Then I would just wait and see. You´ve got really great weeds there and I can just imagine how wonderful the enclosure will be once the weeds really start growing :-)
Kaarina Rantala
Testudo marginata born 9/2013 named Bolt
Finland husband and two boys Roy 5 and Dan 3
No previous experience of tortoises
Professional gardener and landscape designer my company: www.puutarhapalvelucreative.fi
Kaarina.rantala

Postby Tracy33 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:29 am

Sorry Sandy and Kaarina , i suppose i didn't word it right , and maybe i have posted this in the wrong section .
I was really going on about the weed's , as indeed , his lordship has been tucking into the few i have managed to grow .
A lady on here said that i should grow the weed seeds in pots , i did , and i kept them in a coldframe , this was early Feb .
It's just that last year , i was late with growing them , and i thought this year i would make a better job .
I have planted now yet more seeds , there are dandelion , hebe , different letuce's , cress , about 15 different type's of tortoise seed's .
I am no gardener , but it seem's to be taking a while for these weed's to grow . Maybe i am simply expecting to much . :)
Tracy33

Postby Sandy » Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:48 am

Tracy33 wrote:Sorry Sandy and Kaarina , i suppose i didn't word it right , and maybe i have posted this in the wrong section .
I was really going on about the weed's , as indeed , his lordship has been tucking into the few i have managed to grow .
A lady on here said that i should grow the weed seeds in pots , i did , and i kept them in a coldframe , this was early Feb .
It's just that last year , i was late with growing them , and i thought this year i would make a better job .
I have planted now yet more seeds , there are danelion , hebe , different letuce's , cress , about 15 different type's of tortoise seed's .
I am no gardener , but it seem's to be taking a while for these weed's to grow . Maybe i am simply expecting to much . :)

I think you probably are expecting too much:0)
My weeds are only just getting going, this I think this year is because we have had very little sunshine this Winter. Its not been that cold, but without sun.
Weeds and plants need all to help germinate and sprout.
I have noticed that my ground cover of Canterbury bells have really spread well again, waiting for the flowers in a month. So at least something is growing:0)
Sandy
< >
\0/
/_\
Sandy

Postby Tracy33 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:11 pm

You are right Sandy . I suppose in a few years , i will be more skilled at all this .
We have had a good few rain showers here today , so that should bring them on . There is a lot of snowdrop flower's out in this area just now .
I miss living in Kent , for the milder weather , as spring is alway's a bit later here in the Border's .
Tracy33

Postby Sandy » Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:55 pm

Tracy33 wrote:You are right Sandy . I suppose in a few years , i will be more skilled at all this .
We have had a good few rain showers here today , so that should bring them on . There is a lot of snowdrop flower's out in this area just now .
I miss living in Kent , for the milder weather , as spring is alway's a bit later here in the Border's .

We have daffs, in flower and tulips about too:0)
It has poured down today, with little sun:0(
Sandy
< >
\0/
/_\
Sandy

Postby Kaarina.rantala » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:20 am

Do not worry, they just need warmth and sunshine. For example grass needs a minimum temperature of 7 degrees to germinate...
Kaarina Rantala
Testudo marginata born 9/2013 named Bolt
Finland husband and two boys Roy 5 and Dan 3
No previous experience of tortoises
Professional gardener and landscape designer my company: www.puutarhapalvelucreative.fi
Kaarina.rantala

Re: The Weed's Seem To Be Taking Forever To Come UP .

Postby Tracy33 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:46 pm

Thanks Kaarina , as you say , the warmth will do the trick . Well the sun is just starting to hit the greenhouse enclosure , as you will see on the pic . :D
Sadly , our back garden is not south facing .
These photo's are from our upstair's window .
Tracy33

Return to Feeding and Nutrition