Over weight tortoise

Special area devoted to all aspects of feeding tortoises and turtles.

Re: Over weight tortoise

Postby Juliet » Mon May 18, 2015 9:20 am

Nearly a week into their new regime and its not going fantastically. Myrtle is still keen on her food but does reject an awful lot of the 'good' food I try to introduce her to. Apollo nibbles but rejects most of it and Tort has eaten nothing! I have been buying plants approved for tortoises like crazy and plan to revamp both pens the Horsefield pen and the Tunisian pen but of course it takes time although I have already planted some tort plants in already but they just don't seem to recognise them as being food! Apart from chicory and pak choi which was universally accepted as the favourite I just cannot seem to find anything which remotely comes close to being eaten with any enthusiasm. Help!! I am especially worried about Tort as he has had so many health issues and is an excessively stubborn creature. He does not like change he has had change all his life. Some of his homes have been pretty miserable experiences which did make him very ill. So any suggestions very much welcomed. At the moment I have gone cold turkey on pakchoi and chicory is it possible I can introduce tiny amounts or should I keep going with none at all. They have all been outside briefly these past days all are obviously so much happier and Myrtle and Apollo tuck into dandelions and clover which are not good in huge amounts! So I am going to get rid of a lot of it and replace it with other things. Apollo did tuck into some Campanula yesterday which was one small victory! But I admit it I am really struggling. Its hard to see them going so long without a decent meal!

Juliet
Juliet

Postby Tortoise Trust » Mon May 18, 2015 9:29 am

Stop offering the bad stuff totally. Only offer the good stuff.

Simple.
Tortoise Trust

Postby Juliet » Mon May 18, 2015 11:01 am

Thanks for quick reply Andy. OK will keep going. When will they accept the new regime? How long do I give them before it starts wrecking their health this hunger strike they have all adopted to varying degrees? And of course while they don't eat I can't get their Nutrobal or Zolcal into them!

Juliet
Juliet

Postby Tortoise Trust » Mon May 18, 2015 1:17 pm

They can go a very long time, but long before that they will eat.
Tortoise Trust

Postby Juliet » Mon May 18, 2015 2:01 pm

Okay Andy. Thank you. You don't seem worried so I won't be. Wish they would get on with it. They are not getting any of their Ca supplements though.

Many thanks
Juliet
Juliet

Postby Janed » Mon May 18, 2015 3:42 pm

Hi Juliet - I've only just logged on after quite a while and have read all 5 pages of your dietary trials!! I have 3 T.g.g who are most certainly not perfect specimens and I'm sure I fed them too much too quickly when they were hatchlings. They are now 15 years old. But last year I began to read about drying weeds and I did that last autumn and also in the early spring when I brought the torts out of hibernation. They turned their noses up at first but I persevered - some days only offering dried weeds, others adding them to fresh weeds (or supermarket salads when desperate). They began to eat the dried stuff quite happily. I tried the same with the pre-Alpin dried herbs (soaked in water for a few minutes), which they now wolf with relish along with fresh weeds. In fact, the other day while they were outside I spotted one of them eating dried raspberry leaves on a cane which had been cut down a week or so earlier - so choosing more fibrous food out of choice. Persevere, Juliet, and please let us know how it all goes.
Janed

Postby Juliet » Mon May 18, 2015 5:15 pm

Many thanks Janed. I am certainly keeping going and praying right now! The biggest problem my torts have is where they live. Up here near the North Pole in a place called Aberdeen!! So much so I have even considered if it would be kinder for them to be re housed down south so they can be outside an awful lot more than they are up here! So far this year they have had one day which was what I consider Tortoise weather. They have been out other days but always battling cold winds and cloudy miserable conditions. It depresses me so what they must be feeling I hate to think!

But they are part of our family so I will keep going for the moment and hope that what everyone says does happen, and they do accept my radical new diet. The Tunisians are roughly co operating , sort of, but the little Horsefield has totally stropped out and is refusing everything! But comments from people like you are so appreciated and they are keeping me on the road so I don't divert back to junk food. I will keep going and certainly update the forum if I have a break through. But it must be with all of them because even one tort not happy is too many! I need 3 angry torts to forgive me and trust me and their instincts which seem rather buried at the moment!

Hope to be back on forum with good news soon!

Juliet
Juliet

Postby Juliet » Mon May 18, 2015 5:16 pm

Will try the dried flowers again I have tried before. I already use Pre Alpin - they tolerate it !

Juliet
Juliet

Postby Stuart » Mon May 18, 2015 8:08 pm

Juliet wrote: The biggest problem my torts have is where they live. Up here near the North Pole in a place called Aberdeen!! So much so I have even considered if it would be kinder for them to be re housed down south so they can be outside an awful lot more than they are up here! So far this year they have had one day which was what I consider Tortoise weather. They have been out other days but always battling cold winds and cloudy miserable conditions. It depresses me so what they must be feeling I hate to think! Juliet

Hi Juliet
I'm not quite as near the North Pole as you, but share your frustration with our northern climate!

Have you read the new Climate Frame article? Polytunnels/climate frames are one way we can get our tortoises out more, even in the North! They'd get some UV even on cloudy days, and these units can warm up surprisingly well.
Stuart
Hermanns (old female and 6 home-bred offspring), iberas (two), kbn (rescue), leopard, horsfield (rescue), stars (2 - long term loan), red-eared sliders (5)
Stuart
Wiki Editor
Wiki Editor

Postby Tortoise Trust » Tue May 19, 2015 5:47 am

Regarding calcium, you can put a few drops of ZOLCAL-D in the drinking water if they are not eating. That is pretty effective. We do that with hospital cases regularly.
Tortoise Trust

PreviousNext

Return to Feeding and Nutrition