Over weight tortoise

Special area devoted to all aspects of feeding tortoises and turtles.

Re: Over weight tortoise

Postby Juliet » Tue May 19, 2015 9:23 am

Like the idea of poly tunnels especially when its windy they all HATE wind. Will look into it. Thanks for the suggestion.

Andy have never seen my lorts drink from their water bowls they usually take gulps in their baths so I will put it into the bath. Is there any chance they can absorb it from the bath or is that a wish too far! Sounds a bit unlikely!!

Tort ate a viola flower yesterday it made my day!!!

Thanks for everyones continued support I admit I am struggling its very hard! My lot seem particularly stubborn!

Juliet
Juliet

Postby Sandy » Tue May 19, 2015 12:07 pm

Juliet wrote:Like the idea of poly tunnels especially when its windy they all HATE wind. Will look into it. Thanks for the suggestion.

Andy have never seen my lorts drink from their water bowls they usually take gulps in their baths so I will put it into the bath. Is there any chance they can absorb it from the bath or is that a wish too far! Sounds a bit unlikely!!

Tort ate a viola flower yesterday it made my day!!!

Thanks for everyones continued support I admit I am struggling its very hard! My lot seem particularly stubborn!

Juliet

Have you tried rain water in their bowls?
I only ever use rain water inside and out, and often see my tortoises drink. Also they love drinking from rain puddles.
Sandy
< >
\0/
/_\
Sandy

Postby Tortoise Trust » Wed May 20, 2015 5:48 am

Even tortoises that rarely drink when eating normally often will if not feeding much.
Tortoise Trust

Postby Juliet » Wed May 20, 2015 9:54 am

Rain water is something I will have absolutely no problem getting in very large quantities! I will see how that goes but they do gulp water every day in their baths. Myrtle and Apollo are doing OKish. All torts were outside yesterday and M&A ate the usual dandelions and clovers. They also try campanula, and Apollo ate some candy tuft flowers. They also are OK with Lambs lettuce. Its all still work in progress but basically M&A are nibbling here and there but the big problem Tort is still on hunger strike! But outside yesterday I have never seen such a contented tortoise spread eagled in the sun with his eyes closed. He also did a bit of poo so I did feel better to know his little system is still working OK. I wish he would eat though. But I will try the rain water. Tort has 2 baths a day anyway but I may give M&A two baths/day as well while they settle into their regime.

Still no word from my vet contacting Kevin Eatwell but I know from experience how difficult it is to get hold of him he is often away.

Juliet
Juliet

Postby Juliet » Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:22 pm

My updated news on my band of torts and Mrytle's limp.
According to Edinburgh Dick School Myrtle's bones are fine with no sign of MBD so that was a surprise but discussing it with my vet today we think she may have had historic MBD but hasn't got the problem any more! So I guess that was good news! Edinburgh have said if her limp persists they will CT scan her and see what else may be going on.

The new diets are going OK in the case of Myrtle and Apollo. They seem keen to try out new stuff although I have to admit when offered a plate of weeds with with say a bit of frisee amongst the weeds they do eat the frisee first! But they are trying other stuff that is good for them so their diet is becoming much healthier. I am going to stop the Zolcal now though and just keep going with the Nutrobal?

Then there is Tort the rescue Horsefield. He is far far more difficult and will go for days without eating anything at all but will then eat quite a few leaves but nothing too enormous. Just nibbles here and there. When he is outside ( which is not very often as our weather continues to be dreadful ) he is clearly much much happier and will eat when I put a collection of weeds infront of him but frustratingly he hasn't yet mastered 'foraging'.

So good news and not so good news! I am pressing ahead with planting lots of Tortoise plants in their pens but as yet the planrs are a bit small but in time should have a good collection.

Any comments especially on the Horsefield and his picky eating would be very welcome. He seriously eats very little right now and I do worry he might be storing up trouble for himself and his system ( kidney and liver etc..)

Juliet
Juliet

Previous

Return to Feeding and Nutrition