Weighing in

Special area devoted to all aspects of feeding tortoises and turtles.

Weighing in

Postby mikeysmith10 » Fri May 22, 2015 1:50 pm

Hello,

My first post for a while as things have been growing great with Tippy.

I just had a question regarding weighing, he's now around 4 years old, spur-thighed tortoise. We haven't put too much concern on weight as he seems perfectly healthy and happy.

However, just recently has been powering around his enclosure every morning (recently tipping up his water dish!) looking for food, so we have started to feed him a bit earlier. I know tortoises are stereotypically slow movers but nothing of the kind for our little tippy. We thought we may need to feed him a bit more and I've weighed him this morning so i was hoping for some input.

He is 100mm, 270g and 4 years old as I mentioned. We have him on a diet of weeds bought from the tortoise tea lady which are blossoming nicely. Like I said, there is no signs that he is suffering, his legs are strong, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't impeding any future growth or causing any long term damage.

Any help is much appreciated!

Mikey & Tippy
Thanks
Michael,
& 2 spur thighed tippy toes
mikeysmith10

Re: Weighing in

Postby Tortoise Trust » Sun May 24, 2015 8:04 am

Could you post a photo of him, please.
Tortoise Trust

Re: Weighing in

Postby therocklady » Thu May 28, 2015 1:52 pm

Hi Mikey
Andy will of course advise, but your little tort might be feeling randy too. One of my juvenile males, about 5 years old is rampaging around his enclosure, when I offer him food, he snatches it aggressively, and then continues to rampage, like he's furious. That said, he can probably smell the females who are in the next enclosure.
I feel sorry for him, don't suppose there's a bromide equivalent for torts?
Karen
25 testudo graeca ibera
2 dogs from the dog pound
1 husband
therocklady

Return to Feeding and Nutrition