Myrtle Further update

Special area devoted to all aspects of feeding tortoises and turtles.

Myrtle Further update

Postby Juliet » Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:47 pm

I have a diagnosis! Just heard from Kevin Eatwell who has gone into very fine detail with the scan and he can now give me a definite diagnosis as to what is causing Myrtle's limp. She has an infection in the bone of her toe digits! Presumably caused by Apollo biting her! Two digits are involved her small toe and the one next to it. So we are getting her started on antibiotics asap for 6 weeks then taking it from there. There has been a suggestion of surgery to flush out the infection but I am obviously SO hoping it will not come to that and the antibiotics will kick in and sort it out without the need for surgery!

So will post her progress and so hope it will be good progress with antibiotics alone.

Juliet
Juliet

Re: Myrtle Further update

Postby Bigjoe » Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:05 pm

Good news Juliet ,let's hope surgery isn't needed.one of my female Musk Turtles had to be dry docked for 6 weeks due to a bite on the front right toe digit,nasty wound inflicted by the other Turtle,both now separated for good.
Keep us posted
Joe
Bigjoe

Re: Myrtle Further update

Postby Juliet » Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:21 pm

Yes it is good news in so far as I know whats going on but I now have a tense few weeks to see if the antibiotics will work. She is on antibiotics for 6 weeks but Kevin Eatwell said she should be markedly better in 2 so if she is no better in 2 weeks she is straight off back to Edinburgh for the dreaded surgery. At least it is not cutting into her shell I suppose to look on the bright side!
Yes not sure what to do about them living together. I think I will start by getting his beak trimmed right back. There was a time last year I am ashamed to say he did have quite a long sharp beak it is likely it happened while his beak was like this so have learnt my lesson from that he will now have regular beak trims.
Will report back with any news in next few weeks
Juliet
Juliet

Return to Feeding and Nutrition