Not Eating & Sleeping all day

Special area devoted to all aspects of feeding tortoises and turtles.

Not Eating & Sleeping all day

Postby olly » Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:45 pm

Hi ,
I`ve recently become more concerned , as time goes on , with Daisy`s behaviour....
She`s a 6yr old Horsfield , (had her from 2 1/2 ) and for most of the year has been great , feeding , mooching about in the garden etc.
I`ve been weighing her regularly , and for the past couple of weeks , we`ve noticed that she`s slowed down , we`ve only seen her munching on some plants once , and just wants to sleep all day , whatever the weather.
Immediately after her hibernation , she was 331g in February.
On the 6th August , she was 398g , but just 10 days later , she was 397g......
This final weigh in has now become a concern , as I`m aware , these summer months are crucial to her putting the weight on ready for hibernation.
I haven`t taken her to the vet , yet ....my next stop , but I still have the pancur from last years worming.
I`m wondering if a) she has worms , or b) she has a parasite ?
But the fact that she won`t eat , means , even if I put some drops onto her most favourite food , she just won`t touch it.
Also , the vet will ask for some poo , and I haven`t seen any for ages !
She has a bath most days now as well, during summer.
Her eyes and nose are bright and clear.
What would be your advise now please ?
olly

Re: Not Eating & Sleeping all day

Postby Sandy » Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:14 pm

olly wrote:Hi ,
I`ve recently become more concerned , as time goes on , with Daisy`s behaviour....
She`s a 6yr old Horsfield , (had her from 2 1/2 ) and for most of the year has been great , feeding , mooching about in the garden etc.
I`ve been weighing her regularly , and for the past couple of weeks , we`ve noticed that she`s slowed down , we`ve only seen her munching on some plants once , and just wants to sleep all day , whatever the weather.
Immediately after her hibernation , she was 331g in February.
On the 6th August , she was 398g , but just 10 days later , she was 397g......
This final weigh in has now become a concern , as I`m aware , these summer months are crucial to her putting the weight on ready for hibernation.
I haven`t taken her to the vet , yet ....my next stop , but I still have the pancur from last years worming.
I`m wondering if a) she has worms , or b) she has a parasite ?
But the fact that she won`t eat , means , even if I put some drops onto her most favourite food , she just won`t touch it.
Also , the vet will ask for some poo , and I haven`t seen any for ages !
She has a bath most days now as well, during summer.
Her eyes and nose are bright and clear.
What would be your advise now please ?

Temperature plays a very big part in tortoise behaviour.
What are your temps?
Do you keep your tortoise inside or out?
What are you feeding your tortoise?
A drop of two grams is not a lot, its just a poo. Weighing too often can scew weight pattern. I weighed my smaller ones once a month, and kept a record.
This time of the year, the days are getting shorter (tortoises know this by the daylight) and my iberas are not eating as much as they were when temps were higher.
Sandy
< >
\0/
/_\
Sandy

Postby olly » Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:06 pm

Thank you Sandy....
Daisy stays in the garden all summer , and her secure outdoor pen overnight, unless the temps really drop overnight , or if there`s an excessive amount of rainy days , and then she`s in her indoor pen.
I have worked on the garden for the past 3 years , finding all the safe plants that she can eat , of which there is an abundance ,which is why I leave her to it . Last year was fantastic , and we always saw her stomping the length and breadth of the garden , chomping away , so different to this year !
Do you think I should be regularly worming her anyway , as I do my cats ?....and have I left it too late ?
olly

Postby Sandy » Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:13 pm

olly wrote:Thank you Sandy....
Daisy stays in the garden all summer , and her secure outdoor pen overnight, unless the temps really drop overnight , or if there`s an excessive amount of rainy days , and then she`s in her indoor pen.
I have worked on the garden for the past 3 years , finding all the safe plants that she can eat , of which there is an abundance ,which is why I leave her to it . Last year was fantastic , and we always saw her stomping the length and breadth of the garden , chomping away , so different to this year !
Do you think I should be regularly worming her anyway , as I do my cats ?....and have I left it too late ?

Personally I think its probably a little late for worming, as horsfields are reknown for going down if temps drop suddenly.
She is probably noticing the drop in temps of late especially at night, and the day length getting shorter.
If she is acting normally, I wouldnt worry to much about food at the moment.
Does she eat normally if inside where the temps will be higher?
This year the weather has been a lot different to other years, being very wet at the beginning and our Summer came a lot later this year, and Autumn is well on its way. And I live in the SE:0)
I can easily see the difference in my ibera, they dont have any extra heat yet, but are slowing down big time, and I will have to let them have some in the early morning soon. I have been putting out hibiscus flowers to top them up a little, they eat that and then go back into the GH. They are out grazing a lot less.
Sandy
< >
\0/
/_\
Sandy

Postby olly » Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:23 pm

Thank you again Sandy.......
What a big relief to talk to experienced people on this site.....
She still hasn`t eaten anything even indoors though , and I`ve tempted her with her favourite chicory , hollyhocks and lavatera , and she hasn`t touched them , which is why the worry has set in.
I take her for her an annual check up anyway , prior to hibernation , but I just wish I could get my hands on some of her poo !!
I guess if she`s not eating , there won`t be any !
olly

Postby olly » Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:31 pm

Oh , and another thing.........
She doesn`t seem interested in even coming out of her bedroom in the morning, whether she`s indoors or outdoors , but would sleep all day , unless I literally , coax her out and place her in the garden , but she`ll just walk to her usual hole she`s made at the bottom of the garden , half bury herself , and continue to sleep !
Are you saying I should just leave her be then , and this is all perfectly normal ?
olly

Postby olly » Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:14 am

Morning,
Now I know I must be mithering , but my hubby n I were having this conversation last night , and are still concerned that she's stopped eating so soon.
Her wind down is the whole month of November before hibernation , so for her to go off her food this early doesn't seem right....... especially if she still loses another gram regularly along the way....... and coupled with her being so inactive , just sleeping all day , is like no other year previous, so I only have her past record of eating habits to go on , and this year is just totally different.
olly

Postby Sandy » Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:48 am

olly wrote:Morning,
Now I know I must be mithering , but my hubby n I were having this conversation last night , and are still concerned that she's stopped eating so soon.
Her wind down is the whole month of November before hibernation , so for her to go off her food this early doesn't seem right....... especially if she still loses another gram regularly along the way....... and coupled with her being so inactive , just sleeping all day , is like no other year previous, so I only have her past record of eating habits to go on , and this year is just totally different.

Whenever behaviour changes and you are not sure, then get a vet to check your tortoise out:0)
As it can be a lot of things, and without us actually seeing whats going on, we can only give you our experiences and advice of what it might be.
Windown does depend on the weather at the time, as I have kept tortoises for over 35yrs, and at the beginning hibernation started windown in September. As temps that long ago were a lot colder than they are now in the Autumn. But we do still get the odd year when it is as cold as then.
I use my tortoises to tell me when things are changing. Here as I said the temps have dropped not too much but enough. The days are much duller. Where my tortoises were getting up at 7am without any extra heat, and were out and about just after 7am. Now they are not getting up until around 9am. And going back into the GH much earlier. So they are telling me than Autumn is well on its way.
Sandy
< >
\0/
/_\
Sandy

Postby Stuart » Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:44 am

Sandy wrote:...Autumn is well on its way.

:(

What happened to summer this year? I'm still waiting for it!
Stuart
Hermanns (old female and 5 home-bred offspring), iberas (two), kbn (rescue), leopard, horsfield (rescue), stars (2 - long term loan), red-eared sliders (5)
Stuart
Wiki Editor
Wiki Editor

Postby olly » Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:13 pm

Thank you so much....
she's due her annual check up at the vet anyway , so I'll take her sooner rather than later , but it looks as though I'll just have to pay attention to her body language....
Will let you know what the vet says
Thanks again
olly

Next

Return to Feeding and Nutrition