Drying weeds.

Special area devoted to all aspects of feeding tortoises and turtles.

Drying weeds.

Postby musicalvn » Tue May 03, 2016 10:56 am

Hello everyone.
I need advice please from anyone who has experience of drying weeds. I have a food dehydrater. Its temperature range is 40-70degree C. Timer up to 48hrs. I'm careful not to over load. I've dried several batches of plantin only so far so that I can gain some kind of base line to work from. However I remain confused and at my wits end trying to get this right. I understand they should be crispy and crumble when done. Many are coming out black or brown. No matter what temperature I use or length of time. Is this OK? Some are green some are leathery. In general should the process be long (eg 24hours) or should be be reasonably quick (eg 3 hours)? Generally speaking should I be using the highest temperature or lowest? Is it a good sign if I can smell it throughout the house or does that mean I'm cooking them instead? I keep comparing my results to the pre alpin stuff but I'm not sure what to conclude on this.
I'd be very grateful if someone could help me please.
musicalvn

Re: Drying weeds.

Postby Tortoise Trust » Wed May 04, 2016 8:03 am

I'd use the lowest temperature setting. You don't need high temperatures for wild flowers... you tend to get best results with low temperatures and fairly high rates of airflow.

We get good results from ours in about 12 hours.
Tortoise Trust

Re: Drying weeds.

Postby musicalvn » Sun May 08, 2016 8:32 pm

Really appreciate the info. Thank you.
musicalvn

Return to Feeding and Nutrition