Arthur

Special area devoted to all aspects of feeding tortoises and turtles.

Arthur

Postby Mr B » Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:51 am

Our 3 week old hermans tortoise (Arthur) doesn't seem to be eating much although he has gone from 12g to 14g.
He is tiny (36mm long) but he's very fussy about what he eats. We've tried everything but he only eats pee shoots.???
Any advice welcome.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mr B

Re: Arthur

Postby Tortoise Trust » Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:46 am

I do not wish to sound over-dramatic, but please, take this on board.

Pea-shoots will kill this tortoise.

They are high in protein, terrible as regards phytic acid (which causes calcium uptake problems) and if you have a tortoise addicted to them sure as night follows day, it's chances of long term survival are minimal.

You need to do two things.

1. Break the addiction. Stop feeding them entirely and permanently.

2. Read up on suggested diets here and get the tortoise onto a much, much better and more appropriate intake.

This is doubly critical in the early phases of growth. Damage done now is irreversible.
Tortoise Trust

Re: Arthur

Postby Sandy » Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:06 am

Mr B wrote:Our 3 week old hermans tortoise (Arthur) doesn't seem to be eating much although he has gone from 12g to 14g.
He is tiny (36mm long) but he's very fussy about what he eats. We've tried everything but he only eats pee shoots.???
Any advice welcome.

Fantastic advice from Andy:0)
You have to remember they are just like any young, they are strong willed, and will wait for the food they want rather than whats good for them.
Dont get hung up on weight gains, which is so easy to do. If you weigh every day you will get a distorted weight. Weigh only once a month, and only put out foods that are good for them.
Tortoises are very strong minded and can go weeks without food (even small ones) but wont starve if the correct foods are put out for them. Try putting him/her out on sunny days (even this time of the year) where they can graze good foods. But the most important thing for any small tortoises is water and hydration. This is more important than food:0)
When I bred tortoises, my hatchlings were outside 24/7 from April until around Septmeber (depending on where you live and of course the weather) with no extra heat. I used to bring them in for a warm up if we had a week without sun or warm weather. I do live in the SE which helps. I still have three of the tortoises I bred who now do exactly the same thing, except they hibernate in my greenhouse over the Winter.
Sandy
< >
\0/
/_\
Sandy

Return to Feeding and Nutrition