A weird behavior

Special area devoted to all aspects of feeding tortoises and turtles.

A weird behavior

Postby Itismenat » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:42 pm

Hello,

I am new to the forum and I am very happy I discovered it.

Over 2 weeks ago I got a 2 months old Hermann’s tortoise. First thing I gave him to eat was Mazuri. He ate a lot and after, slept mostly all the time for the rest of that day. Next day he ate just little of weeds and slept again for whole day. But then I gave him just weeds and he ate a lot but stayed active during days, trying to leave his terrarium.

Three days ago I gave him Mazuri again, which he consumed a lot and then again, slept two days. Today I gave him weeds and he didn’t eat too much. He is not sleeping but very active, trying to go out of the terrarium. I think he is looking for Mazuri!

I know that babys sleep a lot. But he sleeps during day just after Mazuri. After weeds he probably looks for Mazuri. What should I do?
Itismenat

Re: A weird behavior

Postby Sandy » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:02 am

Itismenat wrote:Hello,

Over 2 weeks ago I got a 2 months old Hermann’s tortoise. First thing I gave him to eat was Mazuri. He ate a lot and after, slept mostly all the time for the rest of that day. Next day he ate just little of weeds and slept again for whole day. But then I gave him just weeds and he ate a lot but stayed active during days, trying to leave his terrarium.

Three days ago I gave him Mazuri again, which he consumed a lot and then again, slept two days. Today I gave him weeds and he didn’t eat too much. He is not sleeping but very active, trying to go out of the terrarium. I think he is looking for Mazuri!

I know that babys sleep a lot. But he sleeps during day just after Mazuri. After weeds he probably looks for Mazuri. What should I do?

A glass box is not good for any med tortoise. If they can see out of it that is where he wants to be.
This can stress your tortoise, which is not good either, as it can bring on illness.
Hermans tortoises, need as much space as possible. They also need to choose what temps they want. Either under the heat sorce, or in a cooler place. Which is not easily possible in a glass tank.
If you go to the TT main site,you will find more info.
Also at www.tortoises.net.
Sandy
< >
\0/
/_\
Sandy

Postby Itismenat » Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:22 pm

Thank you, Sandy for your respond.

My tortoise’s terrarium is covered in the way that my pet can not see through glass. Also temperatures are set up well.

My question actually was: why he sleeps a lot just after Mazuri and not after weeds.
Itismenat

Postby Stuart » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:44 pm

Itismenat wrote:Hello,

If your "terrarium" is a glass tank, then Sandy is quite correct. Even if it's a more open container, then her advice about a temperature range needs to be followed.

Whether the behaviour is diet related is perhaps harder to work out. You might be right. I assume you're giving Mazuri because that's what the tortoise was given before you got it? If so, then maybe that has already become its favourite food. If you wanted to wean it off that and onto weeds, it is possible, of course. The fact that it eats weeds is a good sign. Just feed a mixture and change the proportions of Mazuri/weeds over a period of time. Or just stop giving Mazuri, and offer a wide variety of weeds instead.

It's also true that babies sleep a lot - or, more likely (I imagine) it's that they hide away a lot. A sensible precaution for a small and vulnerable creatures in their natural habitats, and behaviour they naturally follow in captivity.
Stuart
Hermanns (old female and 6 home-bred offspring), iberas (two), kbn (rescue), leopard, horsfield (rescue), stars (2 - long term loan), red-eared sliders (5)
Stuart
Wiki Editor
Wiki Editor

Return to Feeding and Nutrition