TT Winter Feeding Guide

Special area devoted to all aspects of feeding tortoises and turtles.

Re: TT Winter Feeding Guide

Postby Pebs » Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:14 pm

I have read your Winter Feeding guide - very helpful. Does the Tortoise Trust feel that Pro Alpin is a good food source which we should be feeding our tortoises Could you feed this to Leopards and Sulcatas??

many thanks
Forum rules - please sign your posts.
Pebs

Postby Pebs » Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:55 pm

Thanks Joan - can it be fed to Leopards and sulcatas?
Forum rules - please sign your posts.
Pebs

Postby Tortoise Trust » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:24 pm

Yes.
Tortoise Trust

Re: pro rep tortoise food

Postby insenceaddict » Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:49 pm

Hi. Has anyone heard of or know anything about this product? Apparently it's LOW protein but don't know the contents. A friend has asked me about it. I have had real problems with getting pre alpin from Germany,last order never arrived and 3 months later after no response from the company I had to get the bank to investigate and refund the total cost of the order.so just wondered if anyone else has uses this one for supplementary food esp in winter? Jacqui
Jacqui X
insenceaddict

Postby Tortoise Trust » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:32 am

They don't seem to have a full ingredients list and analysis readily available (not that I could find).

It also says "low grain content" - should really be NO grain content.
Tortoise Trust

Postby insenceaddict » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:47 pm

Thanks Andy.
Jacqui
Jacqui X
insenceaddict

Postby dandelion » Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:02 pm

Hi Everyone,
First year overwintering my adult hermanns due to her recovering from an op,and she was eating very well for the first few months. Now days go by with her ignoring her food and trampling it through the substrate.
She is very active and walks round and round in circles which is quite stressful to see as I feel she wants to get out or is bored. In fact, because of this her lighting and heating is often switched off early to prevent this behaviour and let her settle and save energy. Her table is large but not much point putting plants etc in as she is very destructive [aren't they all?!!
She is regularly bathed.
it has been very hard to get a varied diet as nothing is growing in the garden this time of year so ive had to rely on mixed salad, [lambs lettuce, rocket, mizuna leaf, baby red leaf, frisee, radichio, watercress, etc.]
Also offered is cucumber, pepper [she doesn't like] and the odd piece of fruit. Nutrobal is sprinkled on it all as she ignores cuttlefish.
Ive ordered pre alpin fibre food as I understand fibre is important in their diet [and you mentioned Andy, that it should help clear up the bad faeces smell she has.]
I dont know if she'll eat it. Will it be best offered dry? Does soaking it defeat the object?!!
Ive also noticed that she passes urine and faeces much less often than in the summer.
After reading on your site about fibre,that tortoises fed on salads often have worms, I hope it isnt that.
She was last wormed end of 2012 as they dont like routinely worming them now.
In the same article on fibre, it states that wild tortoises ingest large amounts of seeds.
Is this advised and if so, which ones should be offered?
Very much looking forward to your reply and any solutions.
Thank-you,
Dandelion
dandelion

Postby Kaarina.rantala » Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:22 pm

Hi Dandelion - good choice for a name actually :-)
I would not be so worried about eating... if the tortoise has food available, they will eat all they need. But what is your setup for winter like? how much space does she/he have? is it just plain sand with no plantings, hills, burrows etc? I find that tortoises like to be close to shade or cover all the time. And they have an extremely good smell just like dogs. When you disturb their habitat, the first thing they do is go around and smell the substrate, walls, logs, stones... of course they do sniff at plants also, but that can be attributed either to hunger of curiosity. '

Often frantic running around is a sign of distress, and I would try to imagine what is it that is causing her to worry. Availability of food, in my humble (and inexperienced, do take note!!!) opinion, is of secondary importance. Tortoises can survive with rather pitiful scraps if necessary. But I have found that tortoises are rather conservative fellows and whenever you make changes to their habitat, they do sniff and poke at everything as if evaluating the importance of all these changes in their environment to their well-being.

I would call out to Stuart, are you here?!?
Kaarina Rantala
Testudo marginata born 9/2013 named Bolt
Finland husband and two boys Roy 5 and Dan 3
No previous experience of tortoises
Professional gardener and landscape designer my company: www.puutarhapalvelucreative.fi
Kaarina.rantala

Postby Tortoise Trust » Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:59 am

There are a number of issues here.

First - fibre.

Yes, the wild diets are extremely high. This can be difficult to replicate in captivity, but you can do A LOT to improve things with the AGROBS TESTUDO range and this method we have been developing:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=10667

Does this work? YES!

Try it.

The activity could be due to simple confinement and boredom - or it could indicate a health problem such as a bladder stone or similar... it is worth investigating further. I might suggest an x-ray to see if there is anything obvious.
Tortoise Trust

PreviousNext

Return to Feeding and Nutrition