New feeding article based on recent field studies

Special area devoted to all aspects of feeding tortoises and turtles.

Re: New feeding article based on recent field studies

Postby Joan » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:47 pm

I think I'll just stick with Pre Alpin. It produces faecal pellets similar to those of the wild tortoises at the beginning of this thread.
Joan

Postby Anita Sayles » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:15 pm

They were pretty good links Joan, the Plantain would certainly come in handy for extra fibre. This winter it is still plentiful down this way though.
But it's always nice to have some good 'standbys' in stock just in case you can't get out.
I hope Andy gets to this thread :)
Anita

Complete newbie, your patience is appreciated!
Be young, be foolish, but be happy... Life is too short to worry about unimportant things. Reach for the sky, touch your star, and then you find your dream. The Tams - 1965
Anita Sayles

Postby Tortoise Trust » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:50 pm

I cannot see any complete analyses for these items? i.e., protein content, calcium, etc. The fibre content is on the low side, really....it should be around 30% and preferably well over, to be close to a wild diet.
Tortoise Trust

Postby Lawrence » Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:28 am

Tortoise Trust wrote:In the context of the work we have been doing with Testudo graeca here, this is very much worth a read:

http://www.tortoise-tracks.org/publicat ... lants.html

It describes an extremely similar pattern of behaviour and foraging in the Desert tortoise.

Good article.

This link is not working has the article been removed?
Herd of growing torts, birds and dogs of course.
Lawrence

Postby Tortoise Trust » Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:31 pm

Their website is very slow right now... could be a problem with it.
Tortoise Trust

Postby Lawrence » Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:37 am

I keep getting "fatal error 404". Which could mean the file doesn't have a separate URL to link to anymore. Erm that sounded knowledgeable didn't it?

I quite honestly don't have a clue what Im talking about when it comes to web sites.
Lawrence

Postby Lawrence » Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:32 am

Andy I've been reading your generous (and stoic) contribution to the "TortoiseForum".

Im not a member of that forum and can't remember what it was I was googling at the time but found myself on that there TF forum reading the thread "What is the physiology behind pyramiding".

Im so glad I did.

I just wanted to add to the chorus of thanks for your beautiful presentation and mini online lecture.

Bearing in mind this was only last year 2013 so it was also all just a little bit shocking too. Many moments there I thought I had paid a visit to the flat earth society. Saying it was timely is an understatement.

I can also of course freely admit it was for me too a timely reminder to keep on track, though. Somehow seeing it out there in the void of speculation, self promotion and often times plain ignorance made your research shine all the cleaner and clearer.

Well done Im sure there are going to be many more happy healthy tortoises across the Atlantic than before.

Even though there are more than enough similar materials on this forum of course, Andy's presentation ordered as it is in that presentation I think makes good reading. The informal question and answer section in the last quarter perhaps less essential reading unless you want to go cross eyed :geek:

I happened to read the entire 17 pges backwards as that's where I first landed, the last page. Not the best way but luckily It only got better and better that way. To the source of the Nile we go :lol:

Here it is http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/wh ... ing.83263/

Its exciting too of course that there is so much to still discover. We can only hope that will keep people like Andy with his head buried in scrapes probing and his fingers tipping away at key boards. What bliss it must be but I 100% don't take any of it for granted.

You do need to experience being a wild tortoise to start to fully understand, absolutely. I only regularly glimpse such but still feel that much closer to understanding for doing so.
Lawrence

Previous

Return to Feeding and Nutrition