New feeding article based on recent field studies

Special area devoted to all aspects of feeding tortoises and turtles.

Re: New feeding article based on recent field studies

Postby Joan » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:22 am

Dave K wrote:Hi Joan,

As Mark has says the postage is quite high (£20+ for a 20kg order I made) but they are the only supplier I've found with easy UK delivery. If you do order, I'd skip the 600g tin and go for the 1000g bag. Its a nice tin but a bit expensive. :)

I personally think the pre alpin herb product is pretty good, as is the fibre mix. The standard pre alpin appears to be mainly grass content to me. Still useful but not as varied a mix of plants.

Thanks Dave, my reason for being a bit hesitant about the 1000g was will they eat it? With the winter looming and a lot of little mouths to feed I will give it a go!
Joan

Postby Steve C » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:10 pm

Jordi wrote:
There is a Catalan saying that goes:
Menja bé i caga fort: “eat well and shit hard”

Jordi

I've been reliably informed by a friend who lives on the Iberian Peninsula, that your quotation is not quite complete, Jordi. Actually it get's better!

Here's what I'm told is the complete version.

One popular Catalan phrase before eating says "menja bé, caga fort i no tinguis por a la mort!" (Eat well, shit strong and don't be afraid of death!)
Steve C
For Opuntia sales, email jsc_gec@tiscali.co.uk
Steve C

Postby Julie » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:30 pm

Steve C wrote:
Jordi wrote:

Jordi

I've been reliably informed by a friend who lives on the Iberian Peninsula, that your quotation is not quite complete, Jordi. Actually it get's better!

One popular Catalan phrase before eating says "menja bé, caga fort i no tinguis por a la mort!" (Eat well, shit strong and don't be afraid of death!)

:o :lol:
Julie

Postby Jordi » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:44 pm

Steve C wrote:
Jordi wrote:

Jordi

Better :lol:
Jordi
Jordi

Postby insenceaddict » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:29 pm

Have just ordered some to give it a go too, like others have said if it is as good as Andy says, then it will be a useful winter feed or for those awful rainy days when weed collecting is difficult. it sounds as if others on here have actually used it too? will be interesting to see what they make of it.
can i ask, how have others fed it, just a few bits in with the weeds or seperately or what, have gone for the 1KG herb one so wondered how much to feed, on the bais that i dont do German and expect the instructions will be in German? only found the one site doing it though??
watch this space LOL!
Jacqui
Jacqui X
insenceaddict

Postby Jordi » Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:33 pm

Hi Jacqui
I soak it in water and then I mix the weeds previously cut in smaller pieces. They eat it all together.

Jordi
Jordi

Postby insenceaddict » Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:44 pm

Thanks Jordi.
Jacqui
Jacqui X
insenceaddict

Postby Dave K » Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:15 pm

Hi Jacqui,

all my Hermanns tortoises have readily taken to these products. Like Jordi, I rehydrate the cobs with a little hot water, just enough for the contents to expand and break up the cob. Over the year I've mixed with fresh weeds, dried weeds and I've also fed it on its own. I've also found that they will continue to feed on the pre alpin if its allowed to dry out again and I feel this is more reminisent of the dry vegitation I'm trying to replicate with this product.

Just a couple of things, as it's a meal in itself it should replace a portion of the feed not given in addition to a full weed ration. It contains no supplimental vitamins or minerals so continue to add suppliments as you would a regular feed. Finally, and I'm sure everyone does, but ensure that drinking water is available. I havent seen any excessive drinking after feeding pre alpin but you'll see from the way the cobs expand that they suck up a lot of moisture. Thats another point, you dont meed to hydrate many cobs to make a meal. :)
Dave
Dave K

Postby Tortoise Trust » Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:49 am

In the context of the work we have been doing with Testudo graeca here, this is very much worth a read:

http://www.tortoise-tracks.org/publicat ... lants.html

It describes an extremely similar pattern of behaviour and foraging in the Desert tortoise.

Good article.
Tortoise Trust

Postby beaupeep29 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:30 pm

Hi

Which of the Pre Alpin Testudo bags of food would you recommend for a 10 year old Testudo graeca graeca, as part of his winter diet, ie when would it be appropriate to feed which type?

Thanks

Lily Wilson
Lily
beaupeep29

PreviousNext

Return to Feeding and Nutrition