Cyprus and the caspian pond Turtle

Dedicated to aquatic turtles, their care and captive breeding.

Cyprus and the caspian pond Turtle

Postby Bigjoe » Thu Sep 01, 2016 5:13 pm

Anyone with any info on Mauremys caspica ( Caspian pond Turtle ) on the island of Cyprus ...any good locations for spotting this Turtle would be very helpfull,we are off looking for this one end of this month so any help would be very welcome.
Joe
Bigjoe

Re: Cyprus and the caspian pond Turtle

Postby Bigjoe » Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:49 pm

Day four and no luck yet....tomorrow I'll be heading south near the trudos mountains to hopefully photograph this Turtle in the small rivers that run off.
Bigjoe

Postby Tracy33 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:20 pm

Good luck with that Joe , look forward to pics , fingers crossed for you . :)
Tracy33

Postby Tortoise Trust » Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:03 am

Not easy to find in that location...

Very high density in certain spots in Turkey, however. I've seen loads there.

Try marshy ponds and streams....
Tortoise Trust

Postby Bigjoe » Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:35 pm

Last chance today and nothing....very hard just to find good habitat...very very dry here with few bodies of water...lots of frogs/toads and lizards but no Turtles..
On a sadder note we asked in a local pet store who the owner was apparently knowledgeable on Turtles for any info..on sale in this store...common Musks, Yellow and Red ear sliders,Chinese striped necks and worst of all common snappers....apart from the Musks all the others grow to pretty large sizes..problems will occur when people get bored and don't want them anymore...what happens then..no where to dump them as ponds / rivers ect ect aren't that common here..I just hope they are never released into the Caspian pond Turtles habitat if it's known by people who buy these Turtles..very irresponsible of this pet store..if you want to see the problem in the U.K have a look on gumtree..on average 12 Turtles per day up for sale..unwanted and for sale...they want cash for them...joke..do your maths on that one and that's just one site where people try to get rid of unwanted Turtles.....breaks my heart.
Bigjoe

Postby Stuart » Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:29 pm

Joe, your post prompted me to look on Gumtree...haven't looked on there for a long time.
It's a revelation - as you say, loads of turtles, inc. quite a few musks, and so many tortoises, mainly horsefields, as they have been the most recently imported species. Where reasons are given for sale, it's usually either "moving and can't take with me," or "haven't got the room for them," or, most commonly, "can't give them the time and attention they deserve"...

OK, fair enough, probably lots of genuine and good and sad reasons for selling, but I wonder how many of these were impulse buys a year or two ago, and now perhaps the novelty has worn off? Sad, if so, and reprehensible of the trade, selling through pet shops, garden centres etc. Perhaps, at point of sale, pictures or diagrams of how big these tortoises get, and of their enclosure and other husbandry requirements over time, would help to deter the impulse buy of a sweet little tortoise...but that would be counterproductive for the average retailer... :(
Stuart
Hermanns (old female and 5 home-bred offspring), iberas (two), kbn (rescue), leopard, horsfield (rescue), stars (2 - long term loan), red-eared sliders (5)
Stuart
Wiki Editor
Wiki Editor

Postby Tortoise Trust » Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:14 pm

Yes... but we have been saying that for the past 15 years (and got, and get, slagged off for it all over the 'reptile forums'). Well... chickens come home to roost.
Tortoise Trust

Postby Stuart » Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:27 am

Tortoise Trust wrote:Yes... but we have been saying that for the past 15 years (and got, and get, slagged off for it all over the 'reptile forums'). Well... chickens come home to roost.

Quite so.
I was thinking as I wrote my post (and should have included a comment to that effect) that what you have been consistently saying, and predicting, has indeed come to pass...
Stuart
Hermanns (old female and 5 home-bred offspring), iberas (two), kbn (rescue), leopard, horsfield (rescue), stars (2 - long term loan), red-eared sliders (5)
Stuart
Wiki Editor
Wiki Editor

Postby Bigjoe » Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:14 pm

Little twist on this tale...while looking thru old photographs from trips back along Miss Paula dug out some old icmeler Turkey 1995 photos..I remember that one well,we picked off the roads dozens of Tortoise's and moved them to safe ground...I did remember the little Turtle I found in a ditch but didn't think we photographed it...well here it is..a little out of focus ,but this could be the caspian pond Turtle I've been looking for..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bigjoe

Postby Tracy33 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:42 pm

Well done Joe !!!
I must say this little turtle is very dark in color .
Tracy33

Return to The Turtle Pond