Surface-mount pond project

Dedicated to aquatic turtles, their care and captive breeding.

Re: Surface-mount pond project

Postby Bigjoe » Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:19 pm

Ok I spoke to soon..I had some concerns with the right hand end of this set up ,just incase I have now added three sheets of 10 mm safety glass as a precaution ,this is the only end where both can get access to the land area,now I did my measuring to allow for no escapes..better safe than sorry.
Tracy that sounds like a plan...
Joe
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bigjoe

Postby Avatar » Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:12 am

Fantastic! All done! Looks like they wanna to have a glass of beer/wine too.... :lol:
and suddenly find out the colour of your new turtle house matches your room perfectly: both are red & beige ;)
umm...one thing: turtles like to climb on top of each other (I don't know why but they like to do this...) and they might "work" together to get over the safety glass with the help of aloe vera/wooden branch. They may be able to do this when they grow up. Better keep an eye on them as they are really very smart...(i have lost a turtle due to their incredible climbing power...)
Regards,
Gloria

1 Sulcata
1 Testudo Graeca
1 Red Ear Slider
1 Chinese Striped-necked turtle
1 Reeves's turtle

Postby Bigjoe » Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:36 pm

Hi Gloria thank you for your input on this one,had a little move about in the land area just incase and taken your excellent advice onboard...only way out for em now is to tunnel or pole volt out...your dead right they are smart little ones.
Thanks again Gloria
Joe
Bigjoe

Postby Kaarina.rantala » Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:03 pm

Joe, this is absolutely stunning work! It looks perfect, impeccably done and so well planned. If I did not live in Finland I would ask if you would like to construct me one as well!! And the plants.. do I detect a spathiphyllum in the water?

If you keep this pond inside, you might want to add a plant light, the aloe and other succulents will love it. And the fern too, although they do manage in low light but they love plant lights which do not burn their leaves like sun. There is a new LED plant light on the market which emits beautiful white "daylight". You can use those terrarium clamps (Exoterra type) if you do not feel like hanging something from the ceiling. All plant lights are E27.

Really interesting thread, has been exiting to see this project evolving! Who are the lucky turtles moving into this masterpiece??
Kaarina Rantala
Testudo marginata born 9/2013 named Bolt
Finland husband and two boys Roy 5 and Dan 3
No previous experience of tortoises
Professional gardener and landscape designer my company: www.puutarhapalvelucreative.fi
Kaarina.rantala

Postby Janed » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:14 am

Joe

I haven't been on the forum for a week, maybe a bit more - your project has moved forward so far and fast - in fact it's complete and the turtles are enjoying it - wow!! I'm so impressed by the attention to detail you give to your projects (I've watched the build of the outside tortoise enclosure too).

Everyone must be inspired to see all the careful thought and work that goes into everything you make.........what is your job, Joe - you sometimes refer to "the workshop" when you're writing about your projects - I know you prefer working with metal to working with wood.........do you work with metal as a job, or did you teach yourself all these skills? Once again, so impressed. Many congratulations,

Jane
Janed

Postby Bigjoe » Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:14 pm

Hi Kaarina
Thank you for your input on my indoor project..yes you can see a type of spathiphyllum in the water,I belive its Anubias Congensis ,one of many of the Spathiphyllum family,easy to care for and adds good cover,I'll look into the LED lighting you have suggested Karrina,I've seen examples of the new style overhead LED systems used for fish keeping and growing exotic plants,yep your right they do throw out beautiful light..I do admit I did take inspiration from Bolts table for my land area..thank you for your excellent pictures...now as for building you one let me get next years outside one done first.. :lol:
I'm looking for the whole back end from a chevy truck to turn into a pond...take a look at the picture of one in this post back awhile..now the two little ones who now reside here are Dallas and Savannah ,both female musk Turtles..I'm still trying to get some good pictures of them both..not easy as they both active while I'm not home.
Jane
Thank you also for your kind input also,yep you got it right, I'd rather work with metal over wood any day,I had a very good buddy of mine jump in with the correct tools to cut the timber straight ... :lol: ,once the frame was constructed it wasn't too bad ..I took a lot from Andy's article surface-mount ponds,this gave me a very good starting point to begin with ..well worth a read.
http://www.tortoisetrust.org/articles/smpond.html
Just put my twist on the build...now the workshop is where we refurbish gym equipment ,we restore for a better word old equipment to as new..we take an old rusty worn out treadmill for example and totaly rebuild it to as new as possible ..
Welding ,paint ,fabrication comes from my custom bike building days from when I was building choppers..long before American chopper and the rest of the tv shows today,I guess some of that worked itself into my Tortoise/ Turtle projects.
I do hope this has given others a differnt look on how to house aquatic turtles,there sure is enough out there that need new homes,Jane I think I need a lake... :lol:
Again thank you all for your positive input on this project and all the suggestions and advice, I wouldn't have been able to get this job done without it.
Joe
Bigjoe

Postby Sonja » Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:35 am

What a very nice home for the animals Joe. Love it very much!
Sonja
Sonja

Postby Bigjoe » Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:32 pm

Just a little update on the indoor set-up,I have now install a ultraviolet water sterilizeing unit,this should help with any Bactria in the water,simple and easy to install
Joe
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bigjoe

Postby Tortoise Trust » Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:06 am

The UVC unit will really help with water quality.

I highly recommend these.

Super looking setup there now!
Tortoise Trust

Postby Bigjoe » Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:12 pm

I wanted to add some shade to the Turtle room were the chevy tub sits,without blocking all of the sunlight ..didn't fancy blinds/ shades ,just wanted to keep a natural screen..
Black bamboo from local garden centre standing 9ft tall.

Joe
Bigjoe

PreviousNext

Return to The Turtle Pond