New home

Dedicated to aquatic turtles, their care and captive breeding.

New home

Postby Bigjoe » Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:00 pm

I do apologise for the poor quality of the pictures,I've not worked out how to shoot thru glass.. :roll:
This is the emergency set- up for the two hatchling common Musk Turtles
Exo terra aquatic habitat large 36" x 18" x12/18" ( I like the open front design of this for easy access for maintenance )
Fluval U2 in tank filter ( very good filter systems )
Fluval Q2 air pump for air stone ( very quite but I had to install a valve to moderate air flow ,even on the lowest setting this is a very powerful air pump for such small Turtles )
Newatt 75w aquarium heater set to 21.5 ( incased in plastic )
Sand and pebbal substrate with 70% natural plants 30% fluval fake ( the fluval fake plants are very sturdy giving good support for the Turtles) slate and bog wood giving good hides and resting areas.
As you can see on the left side of this set up all of the cables just hang in place,both in and outside of the tank..very ugly..I will post pictures of the cable tidy tubes sat on my workbench at the moment,two 15mm black pipes held in place with hidden clamps that will hide all the cables both inside and out,this will tidy all this up.
I will change out the internal filter system for a external set- up shortly,this I think is a good start up set- up for the two hatchling to begin with...I didn't have much time on this one
Comments and suggestions most welcome
Joe
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bigjoe

Re: New home

Postby Tracy33 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:05 am

Joe , this looks great !!!
you have done a fantastic job , and your right , this is a great start for these two beautiful looking turtles . They are so lucky you found them that day . ;)
Tracy33

Postby Tortoise Trust » Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:35 pm

Very impressive, Joe.

VERY lucky turtles......
Tortoise Trust

Postby Bigjoe » Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:58 pm

Thank you for the feedback,both settled in and exploring very actively ,I real pleasure just to sit quietly and watch them both,they truly are fascinating to watch.im going to get busy this weekend with a few improvements to this set up,cable tidy system and some more plants.
Joe
Bigjoe

Postby vikki01 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:01 pm

That looks amazing and those two babies are so lucky - it must have been fate that you had a day where you didn't have anything to do!!
Vikki.
vikki01

Postby Clara » Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:58 pm

Great job Joe. :)

Almost tempted... :o

Clara
Clara

Postby Kaarina.rantala » Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:35 pm

Some "emergency lodgings" you have!!! This is beautiful to the eye and surely a natural environment for the hatchlings to hide and bask. I have noticed how important it is for land tortoises to be able to be close to cover all the time, suppose aquatics are the same? It even makes for more to watch if your dears are not hidden in their cave all the time but browse under the foliage still in sight!!
Warmest compliments to one of the most compassionate and loving tortoise keeper I have met :D
Kaarina Rantala
Testudo marginata born 9/2013 named Bolt
Finland husband and two boys Roy 5 and Dan 3
No previous experience of tortoises
Professional gardener and landscape designer my company: www.puutarhapalvelucreative.fi
Kaarina.rantala

Postby Bigjoe » Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:57 pm

Vikki I think you may just be right with the Turtles and fate
Clara almost tempted eh...honestly very enjoyable to take care of,just a little time to keep up on water changes and making sure everything is clean,water temps ok...and feeding them..boy can they eat :lol:
kaarina ,yes cover is very important just as it is for Tortoies,especially for hatchling Turtles,in the wild they would be under constant threat from predetors..thank you for the lovely complement Kaarina
Joe
Bigjoe

Postby Kaarina.rantala » Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:13 pm

I find the fate of our new rescues very interesting. Would it be too much trouble to post more pictures, I would love to see how the "pennies" are settling to their new greatly improved home! :D
I bet the lucky little fellas haven´t got the slightest idea about just how ENORMOUSLY lucky they were ;)
Kaarina Rantala
Testudo marginata born 9/2013 named Bolt
Finland husband and two boys Roy 5 and Dan 3
No previous experience of tortoises
Professional gardener and landscape designer my company: www.puutarhapalvelucreative.fi
Kaarina.rantala

Postby Bigjoe » Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:24 pm

Hi Kaarina
I'll get some better pics up as soon as we are back,we're flying out to Kentucky very early tomorrow am so won't be able to shoot some pictures till I'm back,I'm very lucky as we have a very good friend who's excellent at looking after our mob..I'll still fret over them all while we are away..
Joe
Bigjoe

Next

Return to The Turtle Pond