Outdoor surface mount pond project

Dedicated to aquatic turtles, their care and captive breeding.

Outdoor surface mount pond project

Postby Bigjoe » Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:41 pm

After a lot of thinking and searching I think I've found just the thing for the new outdoor set-up for the two hatchling musk Turtles we took out of that damm garden centre a few weeks back.
I wanted to build something similar to the chevy set-up that I built for the adult female musks we have but on a smaller scale,I need area rather than depth so a large tub with tall sides wouldn't work for smaller Turtles,plus a wanted the hatchlings to be able to crawl out to the land area rather than climb..risk of injury was at the back of my mind while thinking on this new build..so in simple terms..good water area but with shallow water plus a gentle slop at one end..
This will be part one of the build and I'll keep y'all posted as I get on with this job.
First thing will be to build the frame work in steel to support the tub...the tub is a bed liner for a Volkswagen caddy van.. :lol:
Don't ask how I came up with this one..steel and steel grill will be orderd tomorrow for the frame and security grills very similar to the ones I made for my Tortoise outside enclosure last year ,I've got to think of thinks falling into this set-up and things like crows,cats and herons getting to the Turtles..lets get on with it..
Suggestions ,comments ,ideas most welcome
Joe
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bigjoe

Re: Outdoor surface mount pond project

Postby Nina » Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:40 pm

Well, I think you're an absolute genius, Joe! I thought the pond created from the flatbed truck was amazing, but this is going one step further -- and very clever with the shallow end too. Can't wait to follow the construction as it progresses.

Nina
Nina

Postby Tracy33 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:54 pm

I am very excited , can't wait to see your next great project Joe !!! :D
Keep those pics coming !!!
Tracy33

Postby Bigjoe » Wed May 27, 2015 5:24 pm

Steel work all done at last ,made in sections for easy assembly ...not sure I like the colour now...I'm edging using the red again ...time for a re think
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bigjoe

Postby Sonja » Wed May 27, 2015 6:10 pm

Very nice!
Sonja
Sonja

Postby Tracy33 » Thu May 28, 2015 12:01 am

It's cominng on Joe , very good .I think the colour is good to , it's a nice natural look .
Tracy33

Postby Tortoise Trust » Thu May 28, 2015 9:24 am

One word of warning.... be very, very careful of over-heating, Joe. If you have a SM pond isolated from the ground, there is very little effective heat sinking. This is even more so with shallow water ponds with a black coloured base. They can get VERY HOT incredibly fast. I know someone who lost all his turtles that way - inside an hour. That was in Scotland, too...

Any exposure to full sun can result in serious danger in no time at all. This is not the case as much with non-surface mount ponds where you have enough heat sinking and water volume to dissipate the heat.... but shallow surface mount ponds are entirely different.

Just though I'd mention that as it is important to know.
Tortoise Trust

Postby Bigjoe » Thu May 28, 2015 5:18 pm

Andy thanks for the heads up on this,I'm going to cut this one down in half,I must admit I went a tad ott with size with this one,its huge..cut down and sink 3/4 into the ground with a soil base..again thanks for the advise on this one
Joe
Bigjoe

Postby Sonja » Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:58 pm

Is it ready Joe?
Sonja
Sonja

Postby Bigjoe » Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:34 pm

Just about Sonja,99% done I'm just waiting for the graphic artwork to compleat this one,I have a few other projects on the go at the moment...plus one from today,a blind Horsfield Tortoise we will be picking up tomorrow ...busy busy busy
Joe
Bigjoe

Next

Return to The Turtle Pond