Rom's Pond Building Guide

Dedicated to aquatic turtles, their care and captive breeding.

Rom's Pond Building Guide

Postby Tortoise Trust » Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:30 pm

Tortoise Trust

Re: Rom's Pond Building Guide

Postby Rom » Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:25 pm

I hope you find this useful. An article was first published (based on this note) by David Alderton in Practical Reptile Keeper a couple of months ago. More notes will come and with time the wider acceptance and the truth about these animals will become established. I hope it helps the even a little with the slider rehoming issues. My thanks to David for his help.

Ignore the typos as no matter how much you check you still miss them.

Cheers
Rom
Rom

Postby ruth » Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:26 pm

Very informative and lovely photos. Rom you have a sentance that talks about hardly perceptible waterflow being just right, does this mean that turtles prefer still water and will not care too much for our waterfall?
Ruth
3 Leos, 4 Hermans, 1 Sulcata, 3 RES, 3 Maps, African Grey, Cockatiel, Chicken, Guinea pigs, Tropical Fish.
3 children, 1 granddaughter. 1 very patient partner who is brill tort table and tort garden maker.(And now pond builder).
ruth

Postby Rom » Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:29 pm

An update from another post for the European pond.
I saw an interesting "fence" in Tuscon Zoo which I have tried to copy. It seem to work well.

What I have done is sunk a log along the length of the boundary.
I robbed an old cycle wheel of all its spokes.

I measured the height of the thinnest turt. I drilled holes each separated by a distance less than the smallest turt. I injected polyeurathane wood glue down the hole and before it foamed up I inserted a spoke. As it set I adjusted them up to look square. The turts dont try and climb it but rather try to go through it and soon give up!

Rom
Rom

Postby Rom » Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:39 pm

ruth wrote:Very informative and lovely photos. Rom you have a sentance that talks about hardly perceptible waterflow being just right, does this mean that turtles prefer still water and will not care too much for our waterfall?

Some turts do live and enjoy moving water.
I have canoed in Florida where there was strong flow and it was very well populated with Cooters.

However most of the turts that we can keep are still water animals.
They also use their sense of smell for mating and other functions which we may be unaware of.

Certainly in the weeded part of waterways water flow is nil.

I have heard that some turts like to swim into the water. Where I do have a flow in my European pond it is small and I have seen no preference or aversion by the animals at the point where the water enters the pond.

The strong water circulation could prevent temerature stratification which they need in hotter weather, but you could provide a section where water flow is zero.
You will need to turn off the water in the winter.

Please give us feedback from your experience.

Rom
Rom

Postby ruth » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:06 am

Thankyou Rom. For some reason I made the assumption that the turtles would actively enjoy the flow, oh dear :oops: . I hope they do like it. If not I am sure we can come up with a way of dividing the pond so that a part is very still. We shall have to see. We do of course have the smaller secondary pond that has no water connection to the first, so unless i have any sort of water feature connected (and turned on) this little pond will be very still and it is easily accessible from larger pond, so they will have a choice. Time will tell and I will be pleased to keep you informed. :D
Ruth
3 Leos, 4 Hermans, 1 Sulcata, 3 RES, 3 Maps, African Grey, Cockatiel, Chicken, Guinea pigs, Tropical Fish.
3 children, 1 granddaughter. 1 very patient partner who is brill tort table and tort garden maker.(And now pond builder).
ruth

Re: Rom's Pond Building Guide - MORE!

Postby Tortoise Trust » Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:18 pm

Latest installment...

ttphotos/PracticalReptiles%20august%20issue%204.pdf

Many thanks indeed, Rom. Much appreciated by all, I am sure!
Tortoise Trust

Postby Stuart » Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:46 pm

Thanks Rom. Clear distinctions between species - very helpful!
Stuart
Hermanns (old female and 6 home-bred offspring), iberas (two), kbn (rescue), leopard, horsfield (rescue), stars (2 - long term loan), red-eared sliders (5)
Stuart
Wiki Editor
Wiki Editor

Postby Rom » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:40 pm

It seems the quality of the pictures has been degraded by going into PDF format - sorry

Rom
Rom

Postby ruth » Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:27 pm

Thanks Rom, answers some of my questions and very interesting. Thank you also for being so willing to answer my queries during my own pond build.
Ruth
ruth

Next

Return to The Turtle Pond