preserve my late Terry's shell?!

Please restrict all non-technical, non-husbandry related, and general off-topic type content to this section. Please note: we do not permit profanity or any other disrespectful or 'adult' themes or content on ANY of our forums.

preserve my late Terry's shell?!

Postby Madtortlady » Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:46 am

I sadly lost my dear Terry - Mediterrean Spur-Thighed - in March 2016 after having had him almost 56 years. :cry: :cry:) I don't feel I would want to do this with any others, but in Terry's case (I am not all that 'squeamish', fortunately) have had him buried but with air access. I wish to keep & preserve his shell as a 'tangible' memory of him.......to keep :!: His shell is about 'ready', so to speak.

(I've seen enough 'grisly' videos about how to help decompose a dead tort, but I don't need all this information as I could likely clean/disinfect his shell any time soon)

However, part of the plastron has come away but think this could be glued back 'into place'.

I am concerned about any possible further deterioration of his shell and to preserve him/it, is there a particular type of varnish someone could suggest I use - maybe a more 'matt' one, as wouldn't want him to look too shiny & unnatural?! Grateful for any help.
Claire Manigrasso (Madtortlady)! Been keeping Med. spur-thigheds since 30 April 1960. Never ever, sold any! Due to unforeseen circumstances, sadly needing to rehome some of my 'family'!
TORTOISES ARE STILL 'PETS FOR LIFE & BEYOND'!
Madtortlady

Re: preserve my late Terry's shell

Postby Madtortlady » Wed May 17, 2017 8:02 pm

FOLLOW UP: Over a year later (won't go into too much detail, but had him buried in shallow grave....'nature took its course' observed by me quite regularly), I now have his SHELL - matt varnish made it look quite natural. I actually managed to buy at low cost what is meant to be a box for pets' ashes - from ebay.

As dear Terry was small, it fitted him perfectly......I really do find having something 'tangible' of him (in addition to a lot of photos and videos) very 'comforting'. If left in ground too long, shells definitely do deteriorate - almost 'flake' away. R.I.P. dear Terry <3
Claire Manigrasso (Madtortlady)! Been keeping Med. spur-thigheds since 30 April 1960. Never ever, sold any! Due to unforeseen circumstances, sadly needing to rehome some of my 'family'!
TORTOISES ARE STILL 'PETS FOR LIFE & BEYOND'!
Madtortlady

Return to The Basking Spot