Microchip no's & adult breeding tortoises.

Please restrict all non-technical, non-husbandry related, and general off-topic type content to this section. Please note: we do not permit profanity or any other disrespectful or 'adult' themes or content on ANY of our forums.

Microchip no's & adult breeding tortoises.

Postby Tom.P » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:20 am

RE. BREEDING ADULTS - their microchip details supplied to DEFRA in approx' 2000 & a substantial number of relative A10 Cert's were issued.
I have come across 2 instances where after 17 years, owners of the above specimens have suddenly been asked to supply microchip no's when applying for A10 Cert's for offspring. Where 'chip data is lost or mislaid A10 Certs have been refused. It is bizarre that after 17 years 'chip no's are requested for the first time.
Is this another case of civil servants creating work for themselves ?

Does anyone know the legal position please ?

Tom
Tom.P

Re: Microchip no's & adult breeding tortoises.

Postby tortydat » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:43 am

Yes I have been asked for chip numbers the last few times I have applied for licences for hatchlings and now make sure that I put the chip number on the form. I think a lot of people mess about with their licences so it is one way of tightening up on registration which has to be a good thing I think. I am assuming that if an adult is chipped then that chip can be read and the number will appear on the chip reader.
tortydat

Re: Microchip no's & adult breeding tortoises.

Postby Tom.P » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:53 pm

Thanks,

I'm not sure what you mean by"mess about with their licenses."

I think it's another case of being petty with UK breeders, whilst imports, many of which are dodgy, are 'rubber stamped'.
True the 'chips can be read, but where A10's are sought in the winter, adults are in hibe' ......

Tom
Tom.P

Return to The Basking Spot