New hermanns enclosure

A new area where you can share your existing housing and habitat ideas by posting photos, and where you can discuss ways to optimise and improve both indoor and outdoor habitats, no matter where you live.

Re: New hermanns enclosure

Postby Bigjoe » Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:29 pm

Looking good Stuart
Joe
Bigjoe

Postby Stuart » Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:47 pm

Looking good Stuart

Thanks Joe! It's a race against time, now...still haven't made those lumisol frames, I'll have to go back to work (such as I do) sooner or later, and before long the sun will be dropping lower in the sky to the point that it won't reach this set-up ... :(
Not that there's been all that much of it this summer, come to think of it.
Stuart
Hermanns (old female and 5 home-bred offspring), iberas (two), kbn (rescue), leopard, horsfield (rescue), stars (2 - long term loan), red-eared sliders (5)
Stuart
Wiki Editor
Wiki Editor

Postby Mac » Sun Sep 06, 2015 8:32 pm

Very nice indeed. How did you get the angles on the frame?
Making a wild Hermann as happy as possible after he was captured wrongfully from his home country in the 60s and later found crossing a road here in the South East of England.
Mac

Re: New hermanns enclosure - update

Postby Tortoise Trust » Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:47 am

Stuart wrote:
Once they are in place and I'm sure it's sufficiently waterproof, I'll consider adding a basking light for those days when the sun doesn't shine (ie most days! :( ) if it doesn't warm up enough with the Lumisol.

I guarantee you will be amazed at how warm that will get, even on very overcast days. The combination of the amount of solar energy passed by Lumisol plus the reduction in wind chill is absolutely incredible.
Tortoise Trust

Postby Stuart » Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:17 pm

Mac wrote:Very nice indeed. How did you get the angles on the frame?

Not totally sure what you mean, Mac...but the woodwork was a bit fiddly. At the time I couldn't find my sliding bevel to copy the angles where the top timbers meet the piece on the wall, so had to do it by measuring and guesswork for the first one, then copied a decent angle onto the other ones. I've found the tool now, and have been using it to copy the angles for the pieces of wood which will hold the triangular perspex in place in the sides.

The decision as to the angle of the slope in the first place was based on aesthetic considerations, and the fact that I wanted some plants t be able to grow taller at the back. (I did actually look at the correct angles for my latitude on a site for greenhouse builders, but it was too complicated!)

Still going with Lumisol in frames for the top, but gave up in despair at getting these finished before winter (now that the holidays are over and a bit of work beckons) and actually brought the tortoises in for a decent warm-up and to get them feeding again. One of them had buried down for several weeks, so wasn't getting much benefit from being out of doors anyway.
Stuart
Hermanns (old female and 5 home-bred offspring), iberas (two), kbn (rescue), leopard, horsfield (rescue), stars (2 - long term loan), red-eared sliders (5)
Stuart
Wiki Editor
Wiki Editor

Re: New hermanns enclosure - update

Postby Stuart » Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:19 pm

Tortoise Trust wrote:
I guarantee you will be amazed at how warm that will get, even on very overcast days. The combination of the amount of solar energy passed by Lumisol plus the reduction in wind chill is absolutely incredible.

Yes, I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised...certainly the leopard's Lumisol polytunnel has given her many more days outside than I managed last year...
Stuart
Stuart
Wiki Editor
Wiki Editor

Postby Clara » Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:04 pm

Stuart, Could you please remind me where to get Lumisol. I know you posted the link before but damned if I can find it!

Many thanks,
Clara
Clara

Postby Stuart » Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:36 pm

Clara wrote:Stuart, Could you please remind me where to get Lumisol.

I got mine from Robinsons Polytunnels, who kindly sent me an extra piece when I bought my mini-polytunnel from them, but there was also a fair bit of spare on the sheet they provided to fit the frame I'd ordered.
www.robinsonpolytunnels.co.uk

I know Northern Polytunnels also supply it by the metre , with the shortest roll width being 7.3 metres. So that's just over 7 square metres for £12.53. (I think BigJoe got his from these people.)
http://www.northernpolytunnels.co.uk/ho ... clear.html

(Other polytunnel manufacturers/sheeting suppliers are available!)

(If you're only after a small quantity, it might be worth asking them to mark which is the inside of the sheeting...it's difficult to tell by sight or touch, but apparently the side that goes inwards is treated with an anti-condensate. It's printed on the sheeting, I suspect every 3 or 4 metres, but an off-cut or small length may miss that info!)
Stuart
Stuart
Wiki Editor
Wiki Editor

Postby Clara » Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:45 pm

Thank you very much Stuart, really appreciate it. I shall be back in the UK during October so will place my order - although it was 28.2 degrees outside at 18:30 this evening and 34.6 in the cold frame.

I have very happy hermanns :lol: :lol: :lol:

Clara
Clara

Postby Bigjoe » Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:45 pm

Yes northern poly tunnels ,fast shipping and good service
Joe
Bigjoe

Previous

Return to Housing and Habitat Design