Basking Lamp Temp ?

A new area where you can share your existing housing and habitat ideas by posting photos, and where you can discuss ways to optimise and improve both indoor and outdoor habitats, no matter where you live.

Re: Basking Lamp Temp ?

Postby Sandy » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:12 pm

Jimbo37 wrote:I have adjusted the positions since this pic

It sounds silly but they can also use the wires from the thermometer you have by the arch thingy to aid climbing:0)
You will find they can and do climb things you would not think of.
Sandy
< >
\0/
/_\
Sandy

Postby Tortoise Trust » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:08 am

I would try to get the brightness increased away from the basking lamp. A couple of UVB generating fluorescent tubes would help a lot.
Tortoise Trust

Postby Jimbo37 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:58 am

Tortoise Trust wrote:I would try to get the brightness increased away from the basking lamp. A couple of UVB generating fluorescent tubes would help a lot.

The pic was taken at dusk, the front of the table gets lots of natural light. I'll add in another UV-B strip bulb though. Would it be ok mounted on the side ( out of reach ) or would the low angle cause uv damage to their eyes over time?
Jimbo37

Postby Sandy » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:15 pm

Jimbo37 wrote:
Tortoise Trust wrote:I would try to get the brightness increased away from the basking lamp. A couple of UVB generating fluorescent tubes would help a lot.

The pic was taken at dusk, the front of the table gets lots of natural light. I'll add in another UV-B strip bulb though. Would it be ok mounted on the side ( out of reach ) or would the low angle cause uv damage to their eyes over time?

If you already have UV then all you need is extra bright light, it does not have to be UV:0)
I used to use a desk lamp that was bright and used to use it for extra light at the beginning of the season when we had lots of dull days.
Sandy
< >
\0/
/_\
Sandy

Postby Stuart » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:20 pm

Jimbo37 wrote:

It might. Tubes should be above.
Stuart
Hermanns (old female and 5 home-bred offspring), iberas (two), kbn (rescue), leopard, horsfield (rescue), stars (2 - long term loan), red-eared sliders (5)
Stuart
Wiki Editor
Wiki Editor

Postby Tortoise Trust » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:43 am

I would suggest placing tubes above, too. Colour temperature (blue-yellow) is as important as brightness in promoting activity. You need somewhere around 5,000 degrees Kelvin, ideally.
Tortoise Trust

Previous

Return to Housing and Habitat Design