Hermans tortoise Outdoor enclosure north east England

A new area where you can share your existing housing and habitat ideas by posting photos, and where you can discuss ways to optimise and improve both indoor and outdoor habitats, no matter where you live.

Hermans tortoise Outdoor enclosure north east England

Postby Craigb302 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:46 pm

Hi i was wondering if any one on here lived in the north east of England and keeps their Mediterranean Tortoises outdoors?

I have just purchased a new house with a south facing garden so im considering a full outdoor setup for them consisting of a purposefully made insulated shed with a mercury vapour bulb inside for cooler/wetter days and a secure planted outdoor run area for them to roam and graze in ?

Any tips for lighting wattage etc would be most appreciated i was considering an arcadia 160w mercury vapour bulb would this be sufficient the design of the shed i have is approximately 150cm L x 100cm W x 100cm H plus i already use a 12% T5 canopy so will fit that in addition also.

Temperature range for my area is winter -2-2'c spring 10-18'c summer 15-20+'c autumn 5-12'c
Craigb302

Re: Hermans tortoise Outdoor enclosure north east England

Postby Stuart » Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:02 pm

Hi Craig

Rather than an insulated shed (or maybe as well as) you might be better off providing them with a Greenhouse or a coldframe, or a mini polytunnel - preferably covered with UV permeable perspex or plastic sheeting.

You won't be able to keep them out the whole year round though, whatever your provision. What are your plans for hibernation?

Have you searched this Forum for ideas?
Stuart
Hermanns (old female and 5 home-bred offspring), iberas (two), kbn (rescue), leopard, horsfield (rescue), stars (2 - long term loan), red-eared sliders (5)
Stuart
Wiki Editor
Wiki Editor

Postby Craigb302 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:31 pm

I usually hibernate them using an exo terra reptile incubator keeping the temperature around 8'c for 10 /12 weeks i was going to keep their tortoise tables for autumn winter times its more for the spring summer they will be outside i have considered a greenhouse/ cold-frame i was just mainly looking for ideas at the minute as to what other people in the region are doing.
Craigb302

Postby Stuart » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:06 pm

Craigb302 wrote:I usually hibernate them using an exo terra reptile incubator keeping the temperature around 8'c for 10 /12 weeks

Ah.OK. If that works for you, then that's fine. I'd recommend a slightly lower temperature, mind. 5*C is recommended as the best temperature, at which there's almost no movement (attempts to dig up/down etc) and therefore minimum weight loss.

i was going to keep their tortoise tables for autumn winter times its more for the spring summer they will be outside

Yes, that makes sense.It's certainly what I do. I'm a little bit further north than you (in North Northumberland). I've got three out in the GH just now, but the present dip in temperatures might cause me to bring them in again, or to install their basking lamps (currently hanging above their indoor enclosure) out there. It isn't Mediterranean spring here quite yet, it seems! :)

I have considered a greenhouse/ cold-frame. I was just mainly looking for ideas at the minute as to what other people in the region are doing.

Yes. I'm always interested in other people's set-ups too - especially if, like us, they live in the north. Our season is so much more limited than that of those in the south!
Stuart
Hermanns (old female and 5 home-bred offspring), iberas (two), kbn (rescue), leopard, horsfield (rescue), stars (2 - long term loan), red-eared sliders (5)
Stuart
Wiki Editor
Wiki Editor

Postby Craigb302 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:38 pm

Thanks for the replies :)
Craigb302

Return to Housing and Habitat Design