Indian Stars

A new area where you can share your existing housing and habitat ideas by posting photos, and where you can discuss ways to optimise and improve both indoor and outdoor habitats, no matter where you live.

Indian Stars

Postby Stuart » Fri May 12, 2017 8:49 pm

Just wondering if keepers of these tortoises have decided to keep them fairly dry, in savannah conditions similar to that for Leopard Tortoises, or a little more humid?
I believe their natural range could encompass either habitat, so it's difficult to know. Mine are CB anyway.
Stuart
Hermanns (old female and 5 home-bred offspring), iberas (two), kbn (rescue), leopard, horsfield (rescue), stars (2 - long term loan), red-eared sliders (5)
Stuart
Wiki Editor
Wiki Editor

Re: Indian Stars

Postby Clara » Fri May 19, 2017 9:20 pm

Can't speak with any authority on Star's Stuart but the UK based habitats I have seen in various forums tend to have some humidity provided.

Kind regards,
Claire
Clara

Postby LimaMikeSquared » Tue May 30, 2017 11:53 pm

I keep mine mostly dry with a large flat water dish for bathing. I have a spaghum moss pile in the corner under the hottest part of the lamp that I keep damp but not sopping wet. I give the soil a good mist about every 7-10 days. The moss pile came idea came from a set up guide for a arid/tropical tortoises. I can't find the guise at the moment.

Mine seems to be fine. Pretty sure I read humid is ok but if your temperatures fall they can have issues so I just have a damp place he can go if he wants.
LimaMikeSquared

Postby tortydat » Wed May 31, 2017 4:44 pm

I keep mine mostly dry.
tortydat

Postby Tortoise Trust » Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:01 am

We always kept them dry - with fresh drinking water, of course - but the environment itself was dry.

They can rapidly develop health problems in damp and cold.
Tortoise Trust

Postby Tortoise Trust » Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:20 am

You might find this interesting. A very recent (this week) publication I assisted with:

http://www.tortoisetrust.es/downloads/S ... rtoise.pdf
Tortoise Trust

Return to Housing and Habitat Design