heating lamp or leave out in the summer?

A new area where you can share your existing housing and habitat ideas by posting photos, and where you can discuss ways to optimise and improve both indoor and outdoor habitats, no matter where you live.

heating lamp or leave out in the summer?

Postby karen54 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:10 pm

Hi Everyone
so had Derek for a few years now ( 6 year old horsfield)
I check in here to read updates etc just wanted to ask a question on heated lamps
So when my husband acquired Derek he came with a heat lamp
He has a indoor cage with an all in one lamp now
he has an outside enclosure too with a built in wooden house and i also put in a garden poly tunnel
My question is if on days it is not hot or sunny outside do i have to bring him in to give him heat under his indoor lamp?
I always thought tortoises had to be under heat for a period of time each day to make their digestion work?
karen54

Re: heating lamp or leave out in the summer?

Postby Christinep » Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:24 pm

Good afternoon Karen
It's widely accepted that it is ok for tortoises to cool down, as long as it's not for protracted periods and they then get the chance to heat up again.
As such it would be ok for Derek to get an hour or so out in his garden run and then back in for a heat, he will enjoy the exercise and the chance to forage.
I am not suggesting this is an option when it's minus five degrees of course :shock:
Christine
Christinep

Postby JerryMaffz » Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:15 pm

My Hermann is five this year and has always been kept in an outside enclosure between mid May and mid September with no additional heat except for two cold frames that he frequents when he needs a bit more heat.
I must add that I do live in a sheltered valley in the south east of the UK.
The only time I would bring him inside is if it was persistently raining or cold for more than a couple of days.
Horsfields are from a naturally cooler climate so I would think that they would be fine to be kept the same way.
Keith
JerryMaffz

Postby Sandy » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:35 am

JerryMaffz wrote:My Hermann is five this year and has always been kept in an outside enclosure between mid May and mid September with no additional heat except for two cold frames that he frequents when he needs a bit more heat.
I must add that I do live in a sheltered valley in the south east of the UK.
The only time I would bring him inside is if it was persistently raining or cold for more than a couple of days.
Horsfields are from a naturally cooler climate so I would think that they would be fine to be kept the same way.

My ibera also are outside from late April (depending on the weather) until late September, without any extra heat. This also applied to hatchlings when I used to breed tortoises. I also live in the SE, so it will depend on where you live.
Tortoises dont need sunshine all the time to be outside. Bright light and warm is fine. You soon find out what temps they will move in, as if its too cold they dont move around. You cant go by how you feel temps, you need to let them choose:0) So far this year, I have not had to switch heat on in their Greenhouse yet:0)
Horsfields can cope with a lot lower temperature than my iberas. They are more sensitive to the drop in temps, and when its too cold for them they will dig down:0)
Sandy
< >
\0/
/_\
Sandy

Postby karen54 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:15 pm

Hi peoples
so I live in Kent too...sunny Gravesend in fact that is often recorded as the hottest place! Derek has a hse outside with tortoise substrate and aspen bedding which he loves to burrow in he also has a veg cloche in his run which he often sits under ...i guess everyone has their own way...you read so much different advice I thought he had to have full sun every day mainly by a lamp as our climate never delivers that!
karen54

Postby Sandy » Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:44 pm

karen54 wrote:Hi peoples
so I live in Kent too...sunny Gravesend in fact that is often recorded as the hottest place! Derek has a hse outside with tortoise substrate and aspen bedding which he loves to burrow in he also has a veg cloche in his run which he often sits under ...i guess everyone has their own way...you read so much different advice I thought he had to have full sun every day mainly by a lamp as our climate never delivers that!

I live not so far from you:0)
All the advice I give is from my own experience, not what I have read:0) As when I started their was no internet or that many keepers around. But over the years I have met lots of local keepers and tried new ideas to see what suited our tortoises. Most if not all try and mimic the wild as much as possible.
So my tortoises are not fed every day, they are left to graze grass and weeds growing in the garden. I never use chemicals and most plants are tortoise friendly.
My iberas can come outside at 15c from their greenhouse, especially the male. Females like to be warm all the time:0)
The natural light outside is far better than any artificial light we can give them, hence they dont need lamps when its warm:0)
The only time I needed a vet is when I had to have the adults microchipped for breeding them:0)
I have not weighed my tortoises in over 20yrs, if they are acting normally eating drinking etc then all is fine. But I have watched and learnt their behaviour over the years, which helps a lot.
The first few years of keeping tortoises is scary, which I still remember, and why I try and helps as much as I can:0)
Sandy
< >
\0/
/_\
Sandy

Postby karen54 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:46 pm

ah thank you every one.. i bought some tortoise friendly weed seeds and they have grown up to create a mini jungle for Derek in his outdoor run he loves mooching around in it there are mini logs and places for him to hide...he seems happy so i think I will watch him and try to learn from him...:)
karen54

Postby Sandy » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:23 pm

karen54 wrote:ah thank you every one.. i bought some tortoise friendly weed seeds and they have grown up to create a mini jungle for Derek in his outdoor run he loves mooching around in it there are mini logs and places for him to hide...he seems happy so i think I will watch him and try to learn from him...:)

Watching them is the only way to get to know them:0)
And its surprising how much you can learn from them:0)
Sandy
< >
\0/
/_\
Sandy

Return to Housing and Habitat Design