Basking Lamp Research - Important!

A new area where you can share your existing housing and habitat ideas by posting photos, and where you can discuss ways to optimise and improve both indoor and outdoor habitats, no matter where you live.

Basking Lamp Research - Important!

Postby Tortoise Trust » Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:31 am

This is an updated and comprehensive report on progress with our ongoing studies into the effects of heat lamps on the health of tortoises and other captive reptiles.

http://www.tortoisetrust.org/articles/b ... ealth.html

Part two of this (which will follow in a month or two) describes some new housing techniques that help with overcoming these issues.

Thank you for your patience. This has been a long and difficult piece of work.
Tortoise Trust

Re: Basking Lamp Research - Important!

Postby Pam » Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:02 pm

Great piece of research Andy.

Thanks,
Pam.
Pam

Postby Bigjoe » Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:11 pm

Very interesting Andy,I'm going to have to reread this a few times to take it all in,2nd part of this on the new housing techniques will be of particular interest to me..Excellent well done.
Joe
Bigjoe

Postby Clara » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:05 pm

Non contact IR meter on order! Will also be making a few tweaks to indoor accommodation in line with your recommendations ready for when my two emerge from their hibernation.

Many, many thanks on behalf of all the captive reptiles this research will benefit.

Clara
Clara

Postby vikki01 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:51 pm

Wow interesting and slightly worrying! Have now got my IR thermometer so I am going to recheck on the correct way to measure the temperatures and what they should ideally be then have another read of this article and see what I need to do. Obviously my priority needs to be sorting the outdoor enclosure so that Herbie can go out asap (slight hitch at the moment with electricity to provide back up heat or uv!!).
vikki01

Postby Tracy33 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:50 am

Very good ,and very interesting Andy .
Well done to you .
I look forward to the second part .
Tracy33

Postby Tortoise Trust » Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:06 am

The next part is really some ideas and designs to help overcome some of these problems. As long as basking lamps are in use, you can't 100% overcome these effects... the key is to find ways to REDUCE reliance on them - and that is what I've been looking at for the past couple of years, and trying out various different ways to keep tortoises without using them so much... or at all... though that depends very much on how far north you are. Apart from tests, I have not used any basking lamps at all myself now for around 18 months. Obviously, that is more possible in southern Europe than in is in the UK or further north, but I still think a reduction of 50-70% in basking lamp use could be achieved almost anywhere. That is enough to make a big difference to hydration status, in particular. It is also enough to make a big impact on your electricity bill! :lol:
Tortoise Trust

Postby Kaarina.rantala » Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:28 pm

I am eagerly awaiting for final results. A juvenile has a tiny carapace, so the temperature differences are not so noted. But he will GROW :D
Kaarina Rantala
Testudo marginata born 9/2013 named Bolt
Finland husband and two boys Roy 5 and Dan 3
No previous experience of tortoises
Professional gardener and landscape designer my company: www.puutarhapalvelucreative.fi
Kaarina.rantala

Postby Tortoise Trust » Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:10 am

Juveniles do dehydrate much more rapidly than adults under the same conditions, however...

As I think you have noticed...
Tortoise Trust

Postby Anableps » Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:09 pm

Thanks very much for the time and effort put into this Andy, I have already started emailing this link to friends and looking again at my own set up.

Is it worth having this as a "sticky" at the top of the housing forum so its always at the top and more easily seen when people open up the group? (although don't ask me how to do that!!)
Cant wait for part two.
Sebastian
Anableps

Next

Return to Housing and Habitat Design