Basking Lamp Research - Important!

A new area where you can share your existing housing and habitat ideas by posting photos, and where you can discuss ways to optimise and improve both indoor and outdoor habitats, no matter where you live.

Re: Basking Lamp Research - Important!

Postby Tracy33 » Sun May 24, 2015 5:14 pm

An Excellent Read.
Well done Andy !!!
Tracy33

Postby Ian Tindal » Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:15 am

Hi Just joined the forum and very impressed with the help provided in the health forum and with the research article. Yesterday I was browsing a UK tortoise shop website and thinking most of the lamps look like the cheap desk / spot lamps available in many supermarket or electrical outlets and the bulbs seem to be halogen spotlight bulbs with very little info provided about bulb output. Your article would be very useful for such outlets to read but I imagine many would not take much notice. I will Tweet a link to it later today.
Father of the owner of a young Lady Hermanns called Squash

http://myi-life.blogspot.co.uk/
http://ii-learning.blogspot.co.uk/
Ian Tindal

Postby Stuart » Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:00 am

Ian Tindal wrote: ...Yesterday I was browsing a UK tortoise shop website and thinking most of the lamps look like the cheap desk / spot lamps available in many supermarket or electrical outlets and the bulbs seem to be halogen spotlight bulbs with very little info provided about bulb output...

According to a Radio 4 item yesterday, domestic halogen bulbs are due to be phased out in favour of LED bulbs, either as early as 2016, or possibly delayed until 2018. (See: http://conversation.which.co.uk/energy- ... gy-saving/ ) IKEA are leading the way ahead of the withdrawal of halogen bulbs by already selling only LED bulbs. These are considered to be very efficient in that they give off virtually no heat.

Meanwhile I'm still using incandescent bulbs: reptile keepers need bulbs that provide both light and heat.

At the moment, fortunately some tungsten spotbulbs are still available. Used in combination with fluorescent UV tubes, I rely on these: http://www.homebase.co.uk/en/homebaseuk ... ack-788278 (althoug hI use the 120W versions). I'm dreading the day when they are withdrawn.
Stuart
Hermanns (old female and 5 home-bred offspring), iberas (two), kbn (rescue), leopard, horsfield (rescue), stars (2 - long term loan), red-eared sliders (5)
Stuart
Wiki Editor
Wiki Editor

Postby Tortoise Trust » Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:35 pm

The PAR 38 floods are being replaced with these (or something similar):

https://www.diolighting.co.uk/LedBulbs/ ... itting=E27

Nice enough light... no heat.

There will probably be a 'dodgy' market in 'illegal' lamps.... pssst! Got any 120w PAR 38's, mate?

Meantime, all the more reason to get building some nice solar powered units!
Tortoise Trust

Postby Stuart » Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:05 pm

Tortoise Trust wrote:The PAR 38 floods are being replaced with these (or something similar):

https://www.diolighting.co.uk/LedBulbs/ ... itting=E27

Nice enough light... no heat.

If there are already alternatives, then clearly the days of the PAR 38s are indeed numbered. Time to start stock-piling then!

Tortoise Trust wrote:There will probably be a 'dodgy' market in 'illegal' lamps.... pssst! Got any 120w PAR 38's, mate?

:lol: Yes...if I buy enough now, I could be that dodgy dealer!

Tortoise Trust wrote: Meantime, all the more reason to get building some nice solar powered units!

True, but today it's raining, and soon, apparently, it will be winter... :(
Stuart
Hermanns (old female and 5 home-bred offspring), iberas (two), kbn (rescue), leopard, horsfield (rescue), stars (2 - long term loan), red-eared sliders (5)
Stuart
Wiki Editor
Wiki Editor

Postby Splinter » Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:21 am

Hi, regarding basking spot temps, how do you measure these areas using an IR thermometer please?

Seems to be a lot of info about ideal temps, but much confusion on how to correctly measure them.

I've had people tell me you should check the substrate temp under the lamp, but I find this varies greatly on the medium used and how damp it is at the time etc. What I have mainly been doing is to check the shell temp of the tort while basking and changing the hight of the lamp (Arcadia 100w MVB) if the temps are too high or too low. Aiming for a shell reading of around 32-33.
Splinter

Postby fethiyeman » Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:10 am

Hi Andy,
Just been reading part two the Lumisol has me interested, but could you tell me the disadvantages of say if i used clear acrylic sheet instead of Lumisol the acrylic still lets UV through and is a bit stronger the film ( I have two cats that will want to walk over the film. Yes i know the acrylic will yellow and degrade within two/three years but is it usable?
John and Bonnie and Clyde and recently woken up Josie
fethiyeman

Postby Tortoise Trust » Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:59 am

The film is actually better in many ways than the acrylic... it is thinner, for one thing, and that equates to less absorption.

Cats? Not a problem. Put the film behind a protective 'cage' made from twin-weld. That does block a small amount of light and UVB but it is not really significant outside.
Tortoise Trust

Postby fethiyeman » Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:46 pm

Thanks for the reply Andy,Now a word of warning about buying Lumisol,yesterday and today i have rung quite a few suppliers and none of them will sell less than 7.2m x10m at a time at around £105 to £130 including shipping. i did find one in Devon who took my order for 7.2m x 1m and the money £21odd, this morning i recieved an email from them saying they would not supply unless i upped the order to 20m so i said return my money!! several other dealers have different types of Lumisol and they say they are just as good so im not sure they know the tec side of things It would appear the best way to buy is for a group buy,anyone in essex or close interested in this stuff i dont mind doing the ordering, example 10m was £115.80 but 15m was £101.55!! crazy.actually my requirements are can be got out of a strip 7.2m x 1m!
John and Bonnie & Clyde and Josie in the bath
fethiyeman

Postby fethiyeman » Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:51 pm

Just found out that Northern polytunnel will sell 7.3m x 5m Lumisol clear for around £50.
John
fethiyeman

PreviousNext

Return to Housing and Habitat Design