Basking Lamp Research - Important!

A new area where you can share your existing housing and habitat ideas by posting photos, and where you can discuss ways to optimise and improve both indoor and outdoor habitats, no matter where you live.

Re: Basking Lamp Research - Important!

Postby therocklady » Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:27 pm

Andy, the report was amazing, and scary. I won't bin my 20 shiny chrome-domed basking lamps just yet, but they may end up somewhere as an art installation. I'm very much looking forward to part two of your report.
You're right about water filtered infra red lamps being pricey - the one I found - a small table-top version was £1900 with no accessories or extras. But I'm absolutely amazed at the various uses for them, from equine rehabilitation to treatments for everything from Clamydia, warts, many skin conditions and from helping with premature newborns to assistance with cancer treatments.
With regards to your report, would I have your permission to print a copy for my exotics vet?
I am also going to the BCG meeting (John Chitty is a speaker there) is he likely to have already seen your report?
Please advise, thanks
Karen
25 testudo graeca ibera
2 dogs from the dog pound
1 husband
therocklady

Postby Tortoise Trust » Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:36 pm

Permission is given to everyone to disseminate anywhere, as long as the source is acknowledged. This is what we do. We find things out that (hopefully) contribute in some way to better knowledge and improved animal welfare. It is our entire reason for existing, and has been for the past 30 years, so if people want to share what we find, that is great.

We are also very open to criticism and other ideas. Have at it!

You are quite right to point out the other possibilities and benefits of WiRA which are only recently becoming understood. For my part, I wonder if this may be the reason (or one of them) why animals in the wild seem able to recover from traumatic injuries without secondary infections, when in captivity, survival would be unlikely? I have no idea for sure... but it crossed my mind when working on this.
Tortoise Trust

Postby Janed » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:20 pm

Andy - many thanks for this information - well worth the time and effort gone into it!! I use the people at Tortoise Southeast for tortoise holidays from time to time and, unfortunately, due to a lack of space etc.. they have to make use of vivaria - a copy of your article is about to wing its way there.

Thanks again, Jane
Janed

Postby Avatar » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:46 pm

Andy thanks for this excellent report! You have put a lot of time and effort into tortoise welfare and we all appreciate your hard work :)
Just wonder if water-filtered infra-red can pass through glass? If yes, then an indoor tortoise table sitting next to window can benefit from this ...? :?
Regards,
Gloria

1 Sulcata
1 Testudo Graeca
1 Red Ear Slider
1 Chinese Striped-necked turtle
1 Reeves's turtle

Postby Bigjoe » Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:22 pm

Karen have you got a link to the lamp you found,would like to have a look at this outta interest.
Joe
Bigjoe

Postby Tortoise Trust » Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:37 am

Avatar wrote:Just wonder if water-filtered infra-red can pass through glass? If yes, then an indoor tortoise table sitting next to window can benefit from this ...? :?

Apologies. Missed this.

YES.

Obviously, UV-B would be blocked but the infra-red passes through fine, with a certain amount of attenuation depending on glass type, double glazing, etc.

Fir this purpose you do not want 'heat reflecting' glass!

See: http://www.explainthatstuff.com/how-low ... -work.html

Normal glass has only a limited effect and in tests I've done, heat distribution is certainly far better than under a basking lamp. This may be combined with an overhead UVB fluorescent tube to give pretty good quality, safe heat. One thing you need to watch for - danger of OVER HEATING. Shady retreats must always be available, and a good substrate depth used. Fatal over heating can occur if this is not adequately considered.
Tortoise Trust

Postby Lisa13 » Sun May 24, 2015 6:43 am

Hi Andy!
Thank you for this interesting read. I finally had the time to read it! I'm grateful for all the studies done on basking lamps. I'm eagerly awaiting part 2. What I found reading the research and the responses to it, is that perhaps water filtered infra red lamps are the way to go (it's just they are pricey!)?
With appreciation,
Lisa
Lisa13

Postby Tortoise Trust » Sun May 24, 2015 7:32 am

Part Two is out, Lisa...

http://www.tortoisetrust.org/articles/climateframe.html

Some additional data will be added to that shortly, covering practical construction hints and more on natural visible spectrum and UVA transmission.
Tortoise Trust

Postby Bigjoe » Sun May 24, 2015 3:02 pm

Brilliant write up on climate frame Andy,just doing some photos on the construction right now
Joe
Bigjoe

Postby Bigjoe » Sun May 24, 2015 3:34 pm

Pictures just emailed Andy
Joe
Bigjoe

PreviousNext

Return to Housing and Habitat Design