Basking Lamp Research - Important!

A new area where you can share your existing housing and habitat ideas by posting photos, and where you can discuss ways to optimise and improve both indoor and outdoor habitats, no matter where you live.

Re: Basking Lamp Research - Important!

Postby Tortoise Trust » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:36 pm

Yes, they are probably the best small quantity supplier.
Tortoise Trust

Postby Sue Doxat » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:28 am

Polytunnel Advice needed please.

Does anyone have any further info regarding using the perspex or polyfilms for outdoor enclosures approx 5 metre x 1 metre and if necessary can it be cut at home. Costs and size is possibly off putting to some people. Would anyone wish to sell or share costs if larger amounts are bought in Portsmouth area. Perhaps by encouraging use of such material, funds could be created for smaller tortoise groups if they bulk bought and sold on in smaller sizes to tortoise keepers. I'm sure many tortoises would benefit if the correct type is used. I intend to discuss useage with a local reptile shop but lack confidence in being able to answer any questions.
Can any techno savvy person give unequivocal evidence for the benefits to the tortoises, that I can use to help persuade the shop manager.
Sue Doxat

Postby Stuart » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:22 pm

Sue Doxat wrote:Polytunnel Advice needed please.

Does anyone have any further info regarding using the perspex or polyfilms for outdoor enclosures approx 5 metre x 1 metre and if necessary can it be cut at home. Costs and size is possibly off putting to some people. Would anyone wish to sell or share costs if larger amounts are bought in Portsmouth area. Perhaps by encouraging use of such material, funds could be created for smaller tortoise groups if they bulk bought and sold on in smaller sizes to tortoise keepers. I'm sure many tortoises would benefit if the correct type is used. I intend to discuss useage with a local reptile shop but lack confidence in being able to answer any questions.
Can any techno savvy person give unequivocal evidence for the benefits to the tortoises, that I can use to help persuade the shop manager.

I had thought Northern Polytunnels sold in smaller sizes than 7m x 5m, but I see the chart on the website starts at that size. It might be worth asking if they'd sell you an off-cut, however.
https://www.northernpolytunnels.co.uk/h ... 0wodi9AD8w

I bought my mini-polytunnels from Robinsons Polytunnels. They happily provided some extra sheeting (although I suppose I was making a reasonably big purchase anyway).In fact the supplied sheet for the tunnel frame I'd bought had a fair bit of wastage on it in any case. I used the extra and the off-cuts for an additional solid-sided enclosure.I found them very helpful.
You could ask them if they would sell you an off-cut or smaller quantities than they advertise on their website.

http://www.robinsonpolytunnels.co.uk/sa ... thene.html

As for the evidence to sell the idea to a shop manager, the data evidence re Lumisol on the Northern Polytunnels / Robinsons websites could easily be applied to tortoise keeping: if it's accepted that reptiles need UV, then the benefit of a protective film which allows maximum penetration of UV (sufficient for growing crops under cover) should be fairly obvious. The concept of a greenhouse/polytunnel/coldframe which heats up naturally in sunshine should clinch it!
But the shop manager is only likely to be persuaded if he thinks there'll be lots of other informed people who would want to buy it from him...and arguably there's no need for a middle man if you discover smaller quantities can be purchased directly from either the manufacturer of from a polytunnel manufacturer who has already bought in bulk.

Do let us know how you get on!
Stuart
Hermanns (old female and 5 home-bred offspring), iberas (two), kbn (rescue), leopard, horsfield (rescue), stars (2 - long term loan), red-eared sliders (5)
Stuart
Wiki Editor
Wiki Editor

Postby Tortoise Trust » Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:08 am

Sue Doxat wrote:Can any techno savvy person give unequivocal evidence for the benefits to the tortoises, that I can use to help persuade the shop manager.

All the data needed, and more....

http://www.tortoisetrust.org/articles/climateframe.html
Tortoise Trust

Postby Sue Doxat » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:56 am

Thank you for all responses.
Sue Doxat

Postby Clara » Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:55 pm

I believe the Norfolk tortoise group was considering buying in bulk for its members but I don't have a contact.

Good luck!
Clara
Clara

Previous

Return to Housing and Habitat Design