Fred's Enclosure

A new area where you can share your existing housing and habitat ideas by posting photos, and where you can discuss ways to optimise and improve both indoor and outdoor habitats, no matter where you live.

Fred's Enclosure

Postby Mac » Thu May 21, 2015 10:13 pm

I've taken the plunge and started on Fred's new land.

Fred is a Hermann so I am told and my Mother and Father in law found him in the 60s. Or was it the 70s it all got a bit mixed up? :?

Anyway nobody claimed him so they took him into the household. He's been through the wars as a stray loosing most of his toenails probably to rats that do that sort of thing. There is a small patch of shell missing at the top. We think his eyesight isn't as good as it should be when he misses his food, or bumps into a pot. Is that normal?

Now it is our turn to look after this family member. I want to do the best for him and protect him from rats, badgers (strongest jaws in the world), thief's etc... We've had a break in recently.

But the first thing I must do is get him in the sun and warmth to 'get him started' as Andy says. Here is a pic in case anyone is interested. More to follow. (Sorry about the daft iPad making picture transfer more difficult than it should be).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Making a wild Hermann as happy as possible after he was captured wrongfully from his home country in the 60s and later found crossing a road here in the South East of England.
Mac

Re: Fred's Enclosure

Postby Bigjoe » Thu May 21, 2015 11:17 pm

keep us posted on your build please Mac
Joe
Bigjoe

Postby Tracy33 » Thu May 21, 2015 11:51 pm

As Joe say's , keep us up dated on this one Mac . :)
Tracy33

Postby Mac » Sun May 24, 2015 11:34 pm

LoadingUp.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Making a wild Hermann as happy as possible after he was captured wrongfully from his home country in the 60s and later found crossing a road here in the South East of England.
Mac

Postby Mac » Sun May 24, 2015 11:44 pm

The next thing to do normally is line the area with weed control fabric before adding drainage gravel. See the white stones? That's the aftermath where I dumped all the gravel in there before the fabric! Doh!
Mac

Postby Mac » Sun May 24, 2015 11:49 pm

After putting all the gravel back in the bag I lined the ditch,
Mac

Postby Mac » Mon May 25, 2015 12:01 am

And then the gravel (again) levelling it with a wooden batten. I had to add a barrier between a side section of the ditch and the turf because the land dipped so much causing gravel to slip out of the ditch. The brown on the left of the ditch is topsoil where I levelled the ground afterwards.

The project is taking a while and Fred needs the sun so I am rapid building a temporary outside tortoise table.

To be continued...
Mac

Postby Bigjoe » Mon May 25, 2015 6:34 pm

Keep at it Mac
Bigjoe

Postby Mac » Mon Jun 08, 2015 6:59 pm

It's been a hard time for Fred as he is still not eating much. I tried knocking up a temporary outside table as the big one was taking too much time. I thought maybe if I can get an internal table I could get him warm with a ubv lamp etc... The shop ripped me off but rather than let Fred suffer I decided to go with the shoddy goods. So in my haste I now have 3 projects on the go. I simply cannot decide which to complete first to try and get him eating. My gut instinct is that he wants to be his own man so to speak and get the big one finished so he has the outside space he has been used to for decades. Get it done Mac!

I can get the scaff sanded tomorrow if fine. But the.varnish won't be done until the weekend as it is back to work tomorrow. Several coats needed as well. Waiting, waiting, waiting,worry, worry...So will he last out that long? Fred has been to the vet twice now and has recto boost and jabs to keep him going.

Man it's tough when folks are in the hospital and the same with pets. But with Fred I have to make the decisions and actions that a hospital would normally do.
Mac

Postby Bigjoe » Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:12 pm

Hi Mac,I'd go with the outside set - up first,weathers taking a turn for the better,get the big guy out in the sunshine ..
I'll keep you posted on the spare wooden mesh grills I'll have spare as soon as I get my steel ones back from media coating
Joe
Bigjoe

Next

Return to Housing and Habitat Design