Fred's Enclosure

A new area where you can share your existing housing and habitat ideas by posting photos, and where you can discuss ways to optimise and improve both indoor and outdoor habitats, no matter where you live.

Re: Fred's Enclosure

Postby Stuart » Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:18 am

Looks great Mac. Covering the stapled netting on the top also looks nicer, as well as strengthening the frames and increasing security.
Stuart
Hermanns (old female and 5 home-bred offspring), iberas (two), kbn (rescue), leopard, horsfield (rescue), stars (2 - long term loan), red-eared sliders (5)
Stuart
Wiki Editor
Wiki Editor

Postby Mac » Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:10 am

Stuart wrote:Looks great Mac. Covering the stapled netting on the top also looks nicer, as well as strengthening the frames and increasing security.

Thanks Sthart. Bit heavier but sturdy.
Making a wild Hermann as happy as possible after he was captured wrongfully from his home country in the 60s and later found crossing a road here in the South East of England.
Mac

Postby Mac » Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:12 am

Please note I made a typo. The mesh isn't.'t 1 inch but half that at least to prevent smaller rats.
Making a wild Hermann as happy as possible after he was captured wrongfully from his home country in the 60s and later found crossing a road here in the South East of England.
Mac

Postby Mac » Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:37 pm

About mesh also underneath. In this pic you'll see where the enclosure is upturned for construction purposes and the anti rat mesh has been stapled to the wood. Now because the mesh roll wasn't wide enough to go down one length I had to cut and join it. See the overlaps? I twisted short lengths of wire to join the mesh rectangles together.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mac

Postby Mac » Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:43 pm

Now it's turned over on its base.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mac

Postby Mac » Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:53 pm

The wire joining the under mesh rectangles is very sharp so I protected Fred by laying some wood over the joins and screwing it to the base. Had to be painted as well for protection of course.
Mac

Postby Mac » Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:01 pm

Here the door construction has started and I have added a layer of weed control fabric to keep the substrate in place within the wooded frame. This fabric lets water through faster than the weed blocker under the gravel. This is because I didn't want to find Fred in a bath of rain water after one of those heavy rainy spells that happens now in the UK.
Mac

Postby Stuart » Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:57 pm

Careful and thoughtful work, Mac! Takes an age this kind of thing, sometimes. I've been standing and staring at my own construction for weeks...not being sure of the best way to sort out technical problems I hadn't thought through when I began the project! Think I know what I'm doing with it now, and keen to finish before the summer ends! (Hmm, maybe I'm too late, then!)
Stuart
Hermanns (old female and 5 home-bred offspring), iberas (two), kbn (rescue), leopard, horsfield (rescue), stars (2 - long term loan), red-eared sliders (5)
Stuart
Wiki Editor
Wiki Editor

Postby Mac » Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:09 am

Stuart wrote:Careful and thoughtful work, Mac! Takes an age this kind of thing, sometimes. I've been standing and staring at my own construction for weeks...not being sure of the best way to sort out technical problems I hadn't thought through when I began the project! Think I know what I'm doing with it now, and keen to finish before the summer ends! (Hmm, maybe I'm too late, then!)

Cheers Stuart. Yes it takes far longer than you think but the first build primes you up for the next one. Just do it is my motto because all the thinking in the world won't cover all angles. But planning can reduce time and cost I know so yes that is important.

Keep us posted when you get cracking! Don't leave it to when it rains. It never rains in summer here! :)
Mac

Postby Bigjoe » Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:35 pm

Safe,secure and well thought out build Mac well done...good fun isn't it..you won't leave it be I bet.. ;) ..got gas struts here if ya need them..
Joe
Bigjoe

PreviousNext

Return to Housing and Habitat Design