When to Refresh Substrate Inside and Outside

A new area where you can share your existing housing and habitat ideas by posting photos, and where you can discuss ways to optimise and improve both indoor and outdoor habitats, no matter where you live.

When to Refresh Substrate Inside and Outside

Postby Mac » Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:24 pm

I have read that every 3 months is a good time to replace a soil and sand substrate mix inside. Can anyone advice please what happens if you have a load of it outside? I have about a tonne to go into a raised bed eventually. Don't fancy changing it at all to tell you the truth.

Should I cover it to prevent it getting too wet in rainy periods? Wet grass isn't good for a tortoise for long spells so how about wet sandy soil? Or perhaps I should let it get wet to clean it?
Making a wild Hermann as happy as possible after he was captured wrongfully from his home country in the 60s and later found crossing a road here in the South East of England.
Mac

Re: When to Refresh Substrate Inside and Outside

Postby Bigjoe » Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:55 pm

Hi Mac ,I leave mine alone outside,the only thing I've ever done was to pick out snails/ slugs/ holly leaves and the odd bit of planting/ trimming back..very basic,if we are infor very heavy rain for long periods of time then both will be put into the table set ups,Horsfields don't do so well in damp conditions over a period of time,light showers I'll leave them out.
Hope this helps
Joe
Bigjoe

Postby Mac » Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:20 pm

Cheers Joe and for talking about it today.
Making a wild Hermann as happy as possible after he was captured wrongfully from his home country in the 60s and later found crossing a road here in the South East of England.
Mac

Postby Bigjoe » Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:01 pm

Your very welcome Mac,sorry didn't phone you back,just finished the last of taking down the pre fab garage...one big space now in the yard...now what to do with it.. ;) ..I have a plan
Bigjoe

Postby Mac » Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:29 pm

No worries. Something beginning with T?
Mac

Postby Bigjoe » Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:48 pm

You got it Mac.. ;)
Bigjoe

Return to Housing and Habitat Design