New hermanns enclosure

A new area where you can share your existing housing and habitat ideas by posting photos, and where you can discuss ways to optimise and improve both indoor and outdoor habitats, no matter where you live.

New hermanns enclosure

Postby Stuart » Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:54 pm

My new enclosure for baby and juvenile hermanns, who are far too small to live outside the sleepers with their mother, whose garden it is!

ImageImage

I'm still working on this. It needs a depth of soil on top of the ballast sub-base, so that the plants currently in pots can be properly planted. It also needs netting and lumisol covers, sloping down from the wall and making it look like a cold frame. It gets the sun from mid-morning to late evening, when the sun does shine here!!
The area outside this new enclosure is due to be "mediterraneanised" with a rockery where I've just got a slope of soil at the moment, and more gravel and less grass than there is at present.

The mother of these babies lives in a greenhouse with free access to this area, which is in the distance in the photograph below. The areas in the foreground are occupied by the ti's who also have sections of the GH and their own "pop-holes"

Stuart
Hermanns (old female and 5 home-bred offspring), iberas (two), kbn (rescue), leopard, horsfield (rescue), stars (2 - long term loan), red-eared sliders (5)
Stuart
Wiki Editor
Wiki Editor

Re: New hermanns enclosure

Postby vikki01 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:31 am

Looks amazing Stuart:)
vikki01

Postby Tortoise Trust » Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:43 am

VERY nice job, Stuart!

A very fine example of how to do it right.
Tortoise Trust

Postby JerryMaffz » Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:25 pm

Looks great Stuart, all you tortoises must be very content...More pics please. :D
Keith
JerryMaffz

Postby Bigjoe » Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:37 pm

Excellent stuart ,keep pics coming please.
Bigjoe

Postby Clara » Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:17 pm

Looks fabulous. Love the planting and how natural it looks.

Clara
Clara

Postby Mac » Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:00 pm

It looks really natural for the torts and blends in well with your environment by the looks. Great job! Humans and tortoises happy.
Making a wild Hermann as happy as possible after he was captured wrongfully from his home country in the 60s and later found crossing a road here in the South East of England.
Mac

Postby Mac » Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:02 pm

It looks really natural for the torts and blends in well with your environment by the looks. Great job! Humans and tortoises happy.
Making a wild Hermann as happy as possible after he was captured wrongfully from his home country in the 60s and later found crossing a road here in the South East of England.
Mac

Postby Tracy33 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:41 pm

Very good stuart . :)
Is your greenhouse heated ?
Tracy33

Postby Stuart » Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:23 pm

Tracy33 wrote:Very good stuart . :)
Is your greenhouse heated ?

GH not currently heated*, but each tortoise has a basking light. They're all on a timer...with the option of me switching them off in the morning if I know it's going to be sunny. Ultimately the lamps need to be controlled by thermostat...

*At the beginning and end of the season I do have a couple of oil-filled radiators in there to provide some b/g heat. Expensive way to do it, though...
Stuart
Hermanns (old female and 5 home-bred offspring), iberas (two), kbn (rescue), leopard, horsfield (rescue), stars (2 - long term loan), red-eared sliders (5)
Stuart
Wiki Editor
Wiki Editor

Next

Return to Housing and Habitat Design