Safe pond additive to control algae but torts can drink

A new area where you can share your existing housing and habitat ideas by posting photos, and where you can discuss ways to optimise and improve both indoor and outdoor habitats, no matter where you live.

Re: Safe pond additive to control algae but torts can drink

Postby DeeKidd » Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:26 pm

Thanks so much, Joe! I will upload a pic of the pump along with dimensions when i get home. I much appreciate your time and efforts!

Dee
DeeKidd

Postby Tortoise Trust » Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:43 am

Anther thing that can work with these shallow ponds is to increase the water volume by adding in a separate 'reservoir' tank, externally. I have done that in the past. You have to configure it so the flow rates do not change the pond level, but it does work. I had a box turtle pond once where we had about 25 gallons in the shallow pond, and another 300 gallons in a linked external plastic water tank.
Tortoise Trust

Postby DeeKidd » Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:33 pm

Here you go Joe. The approx dimensions of the pump are Height=2 1/2' Width=2 1/2" Length=3 1/4'. See the attached pic for the pump. I hope you can get something from it. Thanks so much. :D

Dee
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DeeKidd

Postby Bigjoe » Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:17 pm

Got it Dee ,ok here we go on some suggestions
1 now I know how much room you have where the pump lives a small pump with built in filter sat under the rock will filter / pump the water as before with the benefit of filtration
This will help but it will need maintenance - cleaning the filter media when required..pain if the rock has to be moved every time,problem is the space ..only a small unit can be hidden
2 As Andy has suggested a reservoir tank..water pumped from the pond into a separate tank ,filtered then pumped back again..simple but again hiding it and maintenance ,this is a good system,works on the same principle as my Fluval FX6 ..water pumped out of the Turtle tub ,passed thru the filter system and back into the tub..one unit with two pipes..easy to maintain,now they say this unit is not suitable for outdoor use but a buddy of mine uses one for outdoor use in a small pond,the Fluval unit is boxed in a small wooden built box,he's had no problems so far,the water flows in and out and flow rate can be controlled very easily by turning the flow rate vales forward or back..simple to set up and so easy to clean .
3 submersible water pump filter again but sat in the pond not under the rock.
They work well in large volumes of water..again hiding this will be a problem as they sit in the middle and need to be fully underwater ..little diagram link below
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=subme ... lTGBzeM%3A

I found this for you Dee
http://m.wikihow.com/Keep-Algae-out-of-Water-Fountains
Steps 3 6 and 8 are not for us Turtle people

What would I do..I'd use an external filter system with the U.V steriliser and try to hide the outlet and inlet pipe,add floating plants and use plants in pots/ tubs to add shade over the pond,water top up as often as possible ,the joy of plants in pots/ tubs as they can be moved as the sun moves tru out the year,algae is a real pain Dee and even with my set- up I still get growth on the sand substrate and sunken plants,sun light again..but with a little maintenance I keep it under control .
I remember years back my uncle who brought me up had a leaky carp pond,rather than drain and repair he ran the hose pipe from the house into the pond..clean water 24 hours a day..and the blanket weed and algae bloomed..sun light again
Hope this is of some help to you and if you need any info just yell,nothing much at my local water garden store today that got me fired up,I'll keep my brain in gear on this one
Joe
Bigjoe

Postby Bigjoe » Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:36 pm

Dee just for comparison ,the small pump unboxed made by Boyu is probably very similar to the one installed in your Turtle pond,it sucks water up and everything else..with no filter system built in
I can't unbox the two Fluval canister filters as I'll void my warranty as I'm not going to use them yet..Turtleville is not built yet,but they are huge compared to the pump,either one would work for you,a simple wooden box that's waterproof with good air flow could hide not only the filter system but also the U.V steriliser
Joe
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bigjoe

Postby DeeKidd » Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:45 pm

Got it! I think your ideas are good ones. I do have space behind the rock that can be easily hidden especially if we build a box for everything. Before the pond was built, there were solid rosemary bushes and I wasn't too happy when the landscapers really butched the plants to install it. They do grow fast and I can create a shade barrier out of them once they grow. And good thing about those is they are evergreen year round, so they don't shed much and can create dense shade. Meanwhile I will see what I can do for shade along with pond plants. And once a month I wouldn't be adverse to changing out the water entirely. Does the size of the filtration unit matter? The bigger the better? Thanks for all your help. I will attempt to get it up and running during the weekend. I'll keep you posted on my progression.

Dee
DeeKidd

Postby Bigjoe » Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:01 am

Hi Dee
Re size of filtration unit ,I've a,ways gone at leat 4 x water volume required if that makes sense.. :?,the Chevy Turtle tub is 50 gallons so I use a 400 gallon filter system..only because it's for one Turtle and not fish..small fish = not much mess..one Musk Turtle = mess..and lots of it
Now I don't think your going to have to go that far as yours is not housing aquatic Turtles,but yes a believe bigger is better when it comes to filtration,I'll get some measurements where my filter and UV set up is and this will give you a good idea on the size of box to house the unit in,this is what I love about building set-ups, the ideas that float about in my head..I'm thinking a old oak looking seat / bench that can house a filtration set-up and you can sit on and watch your Torts at the same time.. Please keep us posted on your progress Dee I do hope you get this problem solved ,I know how frustrating this is for you.
Joe
Bigjoe

Postby DeeKidd » Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:09 pm

Great! I will look for a minimum of 60 - 100 volume filter. Thanks again! You've given me renewed excitement on my little pond. Of course, it's always difficult to make something functional and make it all look good too. But I'll do it.

Thanks.
Dee
DeeKidd

Postby DeeKidd » Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:54 pm

Joe, I've been searching for the Fluval filters and it looks like those need to be installed below your tank/pond. Also, I've been noticing that some of the higher volume filtration systems says they only work with larger pumps. Do you find this to be true?
DeeKidd

Postby Bigjoe » Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:01 pm

One other idea Dee,I'm not a great fan of using artificial plants but I found these at my local store,fake floating Lilly's ,good for adding shade plus low maintenance and they don't look to bad..if you can't find any in AZ give me a shout and I'll bring some over and ship them to you when we are back in KY this August .
Joe
Bigjoe

Previous

Return to Housing and Habitat Design