Secure outdoor set- up

A new area where you can share your existing housing and habitat ideas by posting photos, and where you can discuss ways to optimise and improve both indoor and outdoor habitats, no matter where you live.

Re: Secure outdoor set- up

Postby Stuart » Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:25 am

Gas struts are a good idea!
Stuart
Hermanns (old female and 5 home-bred offspring), iberas (two), kbn (rescue), leopard, horsfield (rescue), stars (2 - long term loan), red-eared sliders (5)
Stuart
Wiki Editor
Wiki Editor

Postby JerryMaffz » Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:31 pm

Excellent work Joe, as we have come to expect.
Keith
JerryMaffz

Postby Clara » Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:50 pm

Thanks Joe, will have to get measuring :)

Clara
Clara

Postby Bigjoe » Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:37 pm

Clara I've got the measurements for the L shape steel and grill in the workshop ..I'll dig them out,for the life of me I can't remember off the top of my head the size L shape I ordered ,always worth looking on sleez bay ..you get the material and I'll weld it up for ya if your passing.. ;) I'll get the details for you tomorrow
Joe
Bigjoe

Postby Clara » Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:52 pm

Thanks Joe, that's really kind of you but I am in France most of the time now so will have to find someone local to make them up.
That will test my language skills! :0

Thanks again,
Clara
Clara

Postby Bigjoe » Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:53 pm

Sorry late with the info Clara ,I used 2 x 2 inch for the L shape on the steel frames with again 2 x 2 inch steel grill,keep in mind mine are 12 x 8 and are a two person lift due to the weight...and I have four of them.
The 2 x 2 steel grill is a decent size to work with ,dogs/ cats / birds of pray/ eat won't be able to get thru but mice / rats would,mine as you can see sit 2 ft 3 inches off the ground so it's some protection from rodents.
Joe
Bigjoe

Postby Bigjoe » Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:11 pm

With security in mind I fitted the hasp using torx bolts,so In a nut shell anyone wanting to remove the hasp will have to come with the correct imperial torx tool..that's after they have cut thru the pad lock to get access to the two locking bolts behind.
Not an easy job but that was the idea...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bigjoe

Postby Bigjoe » Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:47 pm

I didn't go with bolting down the steel grills like I did with the first scaffold board build I did last time ,instead I used 10mm x 55mm stainless steel drop nose pins,drill a 11 mm hole thru the side of the grills and wooden frame just push the pin thru and move the locking tab to the locked position ..easy..very secure and safe but not easy to remove from the outside,you can only unlock the pin by being inside the set- up via the front grill which is secure with the hasp pad lock set up..so to remove the grills you need first to unlock the pad lock which is an abus high security lock climb in and unlock the pins..I invested in a good quality pad lock as this is the first line of defence .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bigjoe

Postby Bigjoe » Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:02 pm

With grills 2,3 and 4 now fixed in place with the drop nose pins I've started work on the gas strut system for grill 1, this will make access to the set- up much easier for Miss Paula if I'm not about to help move the grill,simple gas struts will be fitted to either end of the grill to take the weight..each grill weights about 25 kg ,first I had to add 6 mm rose joints to both ends of the struts as they come with a ball end fitting that was of no use to me ..unscrew the old ones ..screw the new on.
The rose joint ends will be thru the grill frame at the top and onto the wooden frame,placing two struts in the middle gave me a good idea if two struts could hold the weight,next job will be to make up some simple spacers to offset the gap between the wooden frame and the grill,should get this done tomorrow .
Bigjoe

Postby Bigjoe » Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:50 pm

The gas struts are now fixed in place,I went for mounting then inside rather than on the outside just as they looked odd on the outside...now only time will tell how long they will last in our climate..rust will be the issue,but I mounted them with U brackets that only take a minute to undo so I'll remove them during the winter time.
Just a word of warning when using hinges on your builds,make sure the pin that holds both parts of the hinge is not the removable pin type,if it is anyone can just slide it out making access to your set- up a little more easier,I had to add a weld to the ends of the ones I used just to make them secure...now all Miss Paula has to do is remove the padlock and up pops grill 1 for access..simple.
Miss Paula made up two temp covers using Limassol as the first frame ones I built are way to small to fit this build..last job will be to construct news ones that fit..another job :lol:
Joe
Bigjoe

PreviousNext

Return to Housing and Habitat Design