New housing for leopard tortoise

A new area where you can share your existing housing and habitat ideas by posting photos, and where you can discuss ways to optimise and improve both indoor and outdoor habitats, no matter where you live.

New housing for leopard tortoise

Postby Stuart » Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:19 pm

Just ordering a 12' mini-polytunnel (with Lumisol Clear sheeting) for the leopard tortoise.
Pictures to follow when it has arrived and I've put it together.
Stuart
Hermanns (old female and 5 home-bred offspring), iberas (two), kbn (rescue), leopard, horsfield (rescue), stars (2 - long term loan), red-eared sliders (5)
Stuart
Wiki Editor
Wiki Editor

Re: New housing for leopard tortoise

Postby Joan » Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:21 pm

How wide and how tall is it your poly-tunnel, Stuart? Good luck putting in up!
Joan

Postby Bigjoe » Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:52 pm

Look forward to seeing this Stuart
Joe
Bigjoe

Postby Stuart » Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:22 am

Joan wrote:How wide and how tall is it your poly-tunnel, Stuart? Good luck putting in up!

Well, it's only a mini-polytunnel...12' long, 4' wide and 3' high at the highest point on the hoops. I'm hoping that it won't be too heavy (with it's base planks), and that I'll be able to move it around on the grassy areas where I intend to site it.
Stuart
Hermanns (old female and 5 home-bred offspring), iberas (two), kbn (rescue), leopard, horsfield (rescue), stars (2 - long term loan), red-eared sliders (5)
Stuart
Wiki Editor
Wiki Editor

Postby Stuart » Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:23 am

Bigjoe wrote:Look forward to seeing this Stuart
Joe

So am I, Joe! I've thought about it for long enough, and have finally got around to ordering it - having realised that the "summer" is half over already, apparently.
Stuart
Stuart
Wiki Editor
Wiki Editor

Postby Stuart » Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:47 pm

Finally completed the building of the mini polytunnel yesterday (delivery was speedy but I've had other commitments for the last fortnight), and put the tortoise out for the first time today, despite it being intermittently cloudy/overcast and a bit windy. Delighted to see that the IR thermometer records a ground temperature of 18*C outside the unit, and nearly 24*C inside it! Tortoise was warm (didn't think to measure) when I put her out, but half an hour so later she's nearly 30*C

Actually I suspect that on a full-sun day (rare!) it could easily become too hot, so am already thinking of modifications for ventilation (controlled, somehow, so I don't lose too much heat?)

Photos to follow when I can sort out my failing camera/phone devices.
Stuart
Stuart
Wiki Editor
Wiki Editor

Postby Bigjoe » Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:38 pm

Looking forward to seeing this Stuart and any ideas you have on ventilation
Joe
Bigjoe

Postby Tortoise Trust » Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:45 am

Yes... BIG difference in these things... think of the electricity they save!
Tortoise Trust

Postby Stuart » Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:45 am

Tortoise Trust wrote:Yes... BIG difference in these things... think of the electricity they save!

Hoping so, although it might take a while to balance the cost of the thing with any savings on basking lights. Could've done with installing this earlier in the year...there's not much left of the summer now [what summer?] and I'll probably end up installing a back-up basking lamp in there, which defeats one of the objectives, althugh outdoor UV - even through Lumisol - has got to be better than artificial UV.

What did you do with your polytunnelled tropical tortoises at night time Andy? My Leo is still going to have come inside to her tube-heated enclosure, i suspect.
Stuart
Stuart
Wiki Editor
Wiki Editor

Postby Tortoise Trust » Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:02 pm

Stuart wrote:What did you do with your polytunnelled tropical tortoises at night time Andy? My Leo is still going to have come inside to her tube-heated enclosure, i suspect.

Varied according to tine of year, Stuart. From autumn to spring they still needed to come in. I do know some people who installed an insulated, heated 'overnight box' that seemed to work well, however. Easier to heat a small space than a large space....
Tortoise Trust

Next

Return to Housing and Habitat Design