Have Been Busy In the Greenhouse Again .

A new area where you can share your existing housing and habitat ideas by posting photos, and where you can discuss ways to optimise and improve both indoor and outdoor habitats, no matter where you live.

Have Been Busy In the Greenhouse Again .

Postby Tracy33 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:55 pm

I have lost count on how many idea's you get , when owning a tortoise enclosure .
But , i do understand now that not all plant's do or grow well in a greenhouse . So very slowly i am filling the floor space up with sand a soil .I have yet more soil to buy .
I am going in with a stoney , rockerey look , where next year i will plant more sedum for greenery , i have since planted more green since these photo's were taken . Tomorrow i will extend the rockerey with some very big rocks .
I have also raised the platform with the coldframe on , even higher !!! ( for the heat ) , and my tort spends a lot's of time up there , as it is so warm . :D

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Tracy33

Re: Have Been Busy In the Greenhouse Again .

Postby Tortoise Trust » Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:10 am

Looking good! Stony, rocky is the way to go!
Tortoise Trust

Postby Tracy33 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:13 pm

Thanks Andy .
I have been looking at your photos of wild torts on here , and this will suit the GH better .
I know you can't really see it on these pics , but i have made it also quite hilly . Tort has taken to it really well . It's very interesting to watch them , when they are given the correct environment . :D
Tracy33

Postby Clara » Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:55 pm

Looks great Tracy, it's maturing nicely in there. Really like that water bowl - how do you keep it so clean? I have to scrub away at the algae every day so have stuck to plastic up until now but it looks so ugly. :(

Clara
Clara

Postby Sue Doxat » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:00 am

I think that looks like heather, lovely enclosure but thought torts didn't like the strong smell of heather??? Is it edible for them?? Will try for myself if OK as really pretty
Sue Doxat

Postby Stuart » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:01 am

Sue Doxat wrote:I think that looks like heather, lovely enclosure but thought torts didn't like the strong smell of heather??? Is it edible for them?? Will try for myself if OK as really pretty

I think the "heather" is actually lavender? And whilst the same objection might have been said of lavender, as it does have a strong smell, I can't say that I've noticed my tortoises objecting to it, although my lavenders are outside. It's true they they don't eat it, but then that's a bonus, as it maintains the aesthetics of an outside enclosure and is functional too, as some tortoises shelter underneath it. It's a good Mediterranean-type plant.
Stuart
Hermanns (old female and 5 home-bred offspring), iberas (two), kbn (rescue), leopard, horsfield (rescue), stars (2 - long term loan), red-eared sliders (5)
Stuart
Wiki Editor
Wiki Editor

Postby Avatar » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:50 am

looks very nice :) and I love your hedgehog too!
Your tort is very smart to go upstairs to get into the coldframe :lol:
Regards,
Gloria

1 Sulcata
1 Testudo Graeca
1 Red Ear Slider
1 Chinese Striped-necked turtle
1 Reeves's turtle

Postby Bigjoe » Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:39 pm

I've always like your set- up Tracy ,it just seems to get better and better
Clara the only way to keep algae at bay is keep the water bowl/ dish in the shade and change water every day,light / sunlight is the problem I'm afraid..we all the love the sun but at times it gives us extra work with small bodies of water.
Joe
Bigjoe

Postby Tracy33 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:55 pm

Thanks all for your positive feedback . :D
Clara , Joe is right , although i water it with the watering can every day , then i only have to rinse it about once a week .
Yes Gloria , the raised cold frame area really does catch the heat , and it sit's on slat so keep's real warm . I would rather my tortoise use this , than put on the lamp in his tortoise house . Of course on the real warm day's , he is mostly runing around the garden .
Tracy33

Return to Housing and Habitat Design