Anti Tort Rollover

A new area where you can share your existing housing and habitat ideas by posting photos, and where you can discuss ways to optimise and improve both indoor and outdoor habitats, no matter where you live.

Re: Anti Tort Rollover

Postby Bigjoe » Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:43 pm

Brilliant idea Clara.
Mac I've done good with Hebe ,Lavender ,spider plant ,sage,plus most herbs at some time in my table set ups
Joe
Bigjoe

Postby Mac » Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:53 pm

Clara wrote:I'll be upgrading my indoor table since my Hermanns have outgrown the old one.

I plan to bring in some of my tort friendly summer bedding plants as they begin to fade outside but have already been buying, repotting and growing on a prayer plant, peperomia, money tree and opuntia cactus as well as planting up all the spider plant plantlets. I plan to sink an old washing up bowl by partly cutting out the base of the table in order to provide sufficient depth for planting it all up - that means I can use regular topsoil too.

Pansies, violas and other winter plants will take over from the summer ones once I am sure that any trace of pesticide or fertiliser is washed away. Quite a bit of effort considering that, with a bit of luck they will only be inside for a few weeks, before we start the wind down for hibernation eh? I have quite a few large stones too that can provide leverage if they topple and to satisfy those climbing instincts. Hope it gives you a few ideas Mac.

Clara
Making a wild Hermann as happy as possible after he was captured wrongfully from his home country in the 60s and later found crossing a road here in the South East of England.
Mac

Postby Mac » Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:59 pm

Clara wrote:I'll be upgrading my indoor table since my Hermanns have outgrown the old one.

I plan to bring in some of my tort friendly summer bedding plants as they begin to fade outside but have already been buying, repotting and growing on a prayer plant, peperomia, money tree and opuntia cactus as well as planting up all the spider plant plantlets. I plan to sink an old washing up bowl by partly cutting out the base of the table in order to provide sufficient depth for planting it all up - that means I can use regular topsoil too.

Pansies, violas and other winter plants will take over from the summer ones once I am sure that any trace of pesticide or fertiliser is washed away. Quite a bit of effort considering that, with a bit of luck they will only be inside for a few weeks, before we start the wind down for hibernation eh? I have quite a few large stones too that can provide leverage if they topple and to satisfy those climbing instincts. Hope it gives you a few ideas Mac.

Clara

Clara thank you. There are some very good ideas here. Especially planting through the base. Why didn't I think of that! :D
Making a wild Hermann as happy as possible after he was captured wrongfully from his home country in the 60s and later found crossing a road here in the South East of England.
Mac

Postby Mac » Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:04 pm

Bigjoe wrote:Brilliant idea Clara.
Mac I've done good with Hebe ,Lavender ,spider plant ,sage,plus most herbs at some time in my table set ups
Joe

Thanks Joe. I've got some of that so I'll give it a bash. Got a feeling I might be getting a shed. Like Clara my Hermann will probably need a larger area. So even more planting.

I thought 4ft by 2.5ft would be big enough for him being 8 inches long, but perhaps not. I've seen your new shed by the way so I'll look forward to how it's progressing. :)
Mac

Postby Bigjoe » Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:11 am

Hi Mac hopefully the builders will have got a lot further with the build while we are away.. :roll:
Joe
Bigjoe

Postby Mac » Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:58 pm

Bigjoe wrote:Hi Mac hopefully the builders will have got a lot further with the build while we are away.. :roll:
Joe

At least you found one! :lol:
We've been waiting for a boulder to start for a year now.
Mac

Previous

Return to Housing and Habitat Design