Under floor heating?

A new area where you can share your existing housing and habitat ideas by posting photos, and where you can discuss ways to optimise and improve both indoor and outdoor habitats, no matter where you live.

Under floor heating?

Postby Stuart » Mon May 15, 2017 6:45 pm

We're having some work done to our "sun-room" extension, and I'm wondering about fitting UF heating. The plan is that there will be some tortoise enclosures around the perimeter of the room...
generally I know tortoises are supposed to be heated from above, and there will still be basking and UV lights baove the enclosures, but I'm assuming they also benefit from sitting on substrate which has been warmed up by the sun, so in principle this should be ok. There'll be ceramic tiles on top of the heating elements, and the enclosures will have substrate on top of those.
I'm checking with the UFH company if that would be OK from their perspective, but wondered if keepers had views on the tortoise aspect of the plan?
Stuart
Hermanns (old female and 6 home-bred offspring), iberas (two), kbn (rescue), leopard, horsfield (rescue), stars (2 - long term loan), red-eared sliders (5)
Stuart
Wiki Editor
Wiki Editor

Re: Under floor heating?

Postby Tortoise Trust » Wed May 17, 2017 8:26 am

We used a similar system in Wales years ago (hot water pipes in concrete). Worked well... just took the chill off.
Tortoise Trust

Return to Housing and Habitat Design