Outdoor Enclosure Pictures

A new area where you can share your existing housing and habitat ideas by posting photos, and where you can discuss ways to optimise and improve both indoor and outdoor habitats, no matter where you live.

Re: Outdoor Enclosure Pictures

Postby schildkroetenfan » Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:39 am

Here are pictures of work in progress. Now it has a wire top and a plastic cloche and one of the half tree logs, and a stone pool. And a tortoise, a two year old, from preloved. The first thing it did was to greedily stuff itself with sand. Maybe it helps its digestion like it does with birds? The second thing was to wonder all round and dig itself into the soil under the tree log. It seems to like basking on one of the stones, too.
But...it does not eat the Tortoise Trust approved weed diet yet. It had a nibble at the dandelion but ignored the particularly grown for it watercress and rocket. And it stayed out in the rain and did not go in for shelter.
Is it ok to leave the tortoise out nowadays the whole day and night as it is supposed to be summer? I have brought it in now for the night.
It is quite a small sandpit but my DIY skills are horrendous and as I have 2 little kids not much time to use tools. I glued the fabric on the sandpit nr.1 with a hot glue gun and then used staples outside and put ducktape over these. The second sandpit on the top and luckily the trellis sold fit snuggly on top with the wire mesh stapled on top with some ducktape over it.
I would have loved to adopt one of the tortoises from the tortoise trust, but the sandpit is too small for most of them I believe and most tortoises seem to be located quite far away from here, too.
The pictures here of the different set-ups really helped. I hope I can expand and improve the enclosure into something impressive like the other guys and girls show here. This is very much a total beginners thing.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
schildkroetenfan

Postby lynnedit » Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:56 am

Depending on your temps, the tortoise can stay outside IF there are no risks from predators. They do need to be able to warm up enough during the day to be able to digest. They also need to be able to cool off, so if the enclosure is in the direct sun, the tortoise might get too hot.
Temp and weather conditions would need to be monitored.

You would need to cover one side with a board to allow for a larger dry area in case it does rain. The do need the option of getting out of the rain, even if they don't choose to.
And you are right, while this may be a big improvement for the tortoise you adopted (just being outside!), working eventually on a larger enclosure is a good idea. Good job on this so far!

Also, is there a cuttlefish in the enclosure? Your tortoise may be craving calcium. Not always, but it is possible.
Continue to offer healthy weeds and greens. Feed them on a slate to help trim the beak.
Lynne
Horsfields 0:3:0
Pacific NW, US
lynnedit

Postby Lawrence » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:54 am

Im not sure how thats meant to work. If it rains does it fill up with water or does it come inside or is the top on all the time.....what?

It could get a bit hot or wet or both. I ike your weeds my tortoises would have mowed that already and the rosemary probably.

Thats strange it ate up sand, that could be quite dangerous sand as it can get stuck in its stomack, compacted. Mine will sometimes eat a bit of soil if they find it tasty but not much sand I hope. They also i knw injest a fair number of small stones, accident probaby.

Nice grass you've got there, what species of tortoise is it?
Herd of growing torts, birds and dogs of course.
Lawrence

Postby Sandy » Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:52 pm

schildkroetenfan wrote:Here are pictures of work in progress. Now it has a wire top and a plastic cloche and one of the half tree logs, and a stone pool. And a tortoise, a two year old, from preloved. The first thing it did was to greedily stuff itself with sand. Maybe it helps its digestion like it does with birds? The second thing was to wonder all round and dig itself into the soil under the tree log. It seems to like basking on one of the stones, too.
But...it does not eat the Tortoise Trust approved weed diet yet. It had a nibble at the dandelion but ignored the particularly grown for it watercress and rocket. And it stayed out in the rain and did not go in for shelter.
Is it ok to leave the tortoise out nowadays the whole day and night as it is supposed to be summer? I have brought it in now for the night.
It is quite a small sandpit but my DIY skills are horrendous and as I have 2 little kids not much time to use tools. I glued the fabric on the sandpit nr.1 with a hot glue gun and then used staples outside and put ducktape over these. The second sandpit on the top and luckily the trellis sold fit snuggly on top with the wire mesh stapled on top with some ducktape over it.
I would have loved to adopt one of the tortoises from the tortoise trust, but the sandpit is too small for most of them I believe and most tortoises seem to be located quite far away from here, too.
The pictures here of the different set-ups really helped. I hope I can expand and improve the enclosure into something impressive like the other guys and girls show here. This is very much a total beginners thing.

I hate to say this, but the enclosure is quite small for a two year old tortoise:0(
Any gaps and the tortoise will try to escape, as they always want to be where they can see:0)
What species are we talking about please?
It can take a while for a tortoise to settle into a new home, so they will hide away.
You need a few more plants for cover, as tortoises don't like open spaces when a home is new. They don't know there are not predators out there.
As for eating a new diet, it depends on what the tortoises has been fed on in the past, if its mostly salad foods (which is junk food for tortoise when fed all the time) so don't panic if your tortoise does not eat for a week or two:0) They will be holding out for the lettuce and tomato:0( No healthy tortoise will refuse food if they are hungry, but are stubborn enough to hold out for the junk food:0)
You have done a good job, and brilliant that you are here to ask questions, hopefully you wont take offence by ideas and help they are not negative, just trying to give you ideas. We all have had to learn at one time or another, and we are still learning too:0)
Sandy
< >
\0/
/_\
Sandy

Postby schildkroetenfan » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:31 am

Yes, it likes the cuttlefish takes big chunks out of it. Yes, I put a bit more plants in there and it ate some forget-me-not and some flowers. Its a Hermans tortoise. I am trying to identify some more weeds for feeding, found some sowthistle and unfortunately only one Plantain. Am a bit confused as different websites say different things about different plants, for example about Nasturtium. Have a lot of Willowherbs in the garden and dandelion, put some clover and goosegras in there but it gets ignored.
Have also got lots of Fuchsias, Petunias and Geranium but am a bit hesitant to feed these. Most of them overwintered so all flowers and leaves are brandnew and unsprayed or anything.
Am mostly looking on:
https://www.facebook.com/TortoiseFriendlyWeeds
schildkroetenfan

Postby Sandy » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:25 am

schildkroetenfan wrote:Yes, it likes the cuttlefish takes big chunks out of it. Yes, I put a bit more plants in there and it ate some forget-me-not and some flowers. Its a Hermans tortoise. I am trying to identify some more weeds for feeding, found some sowthistle and unfortunately only one Plantain. Am a bit confused as different websites say different things about different plants, for example about Nasturtium. Have a lot of Willowherbs in the garden and dandelion, put some clover and goosegras in there but it gets ignored.
Have also got lots of Fuchsias, Petunias and Geranium but am a bit hesitant to feed these. Most of them overwintered so all flowers and leaves are brandnew and unsprayed or anything.
Am mostly looking on:
https://www.facebook.com/TortoiseFriendlyWeeds

Your looking at the wrong place for good advice on plants:0)
www.tortoises.net has a brilliant downloadable booklet. Lin King did a lot of research in the field, so put together this booklet to help keepers. So come from someone who knows.
The Tortoise Table do internet research on suitable safe plants for tortoises, and is run by tortoise keepers, so is also a great place to find plant info. The tortoise trust also give a great list of suitable plants for tortoises.
With these three sites, you will find all you need to know about suitable plants.

A good tip is once you know a suitable weed or plant, is to gather seed heads from these plants (this is the right time of the year to do this) and keep the seeds to sow in the garden in around October or November. This is so you have weeds growing ready for the Spring:0)
This is how I have built up my weeds in my garden over the years. I have never actually bought seeds:0)
Hollyhocks, mallows, hardy plumbago, hibiscus, lavetera, campanula, are all around now. Along with wide leaf plantain, narrow leaf plantain, dandelions, sowthistle and pansies. Just to name a few:0)
Sandy
< >
\0/
/_\
Sandy

Postby ditzyangeluk » Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:06 am

sparky-outside.jpg

My Hermann, Sparkys, outdoor enclsure.
Only had Sparky 2 days and he was only out for a little while today due to thunderstorms
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ditzyangeluk

Postby lorna » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:44 am

Ideal for the time being, but make sure you have it covered with mesh, although maybe you took it off for the photo. Magpies, crows etc might be interested......

Lorna
lorna

Postby ditzyangeluk » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:10 pm

Yes, I always have it covered with mesh, but took it off for the pic.

He was outside again today .. he gets soooo messy!
ditzyangeluk

Postby schildkroetenfan » Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:38 pm

Here is an update on the outdoor enclosure. Already one side damaged by my kids.
schildkroetenfan

PreviousNext

Return to Housing and Habitat Design