Outdoor Enclosure Pictures

A new area where you can share your existing housing and habitat ideas by posting photos, and where you can discuss ways to optimise and improve both indoor and outdoor habitats, no matter where you live.

Re: Outdoor Enclosure Pictures

Postby PixelAdventures » Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:04 pm

For my enclosure for my Hermanns and testudo graeca graeca (divided). It will be 8ft x 4ft. I was thinking dig down, put weed fabric down (is it good drainage wise?) and then slabs on top (with gaps). Then use decking boards to use as walls. How far would I need to dig down? The species I have aren't big diggers.
PixelAdventures

Postby lynnedit » Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:57 am

I think your other thread will get answered more quickly, not embedded like this one :D
Lynne
Horsfields 0:3:0
Pacific NW, US
lynnedit

Postby Kaarina.rantala » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:07 pm

Here are some pictures of my enclosure. It was done in a hurry to get the new tortoise into real sun asap. He is 1 year old and 7cm long so escape proofing is modest but adaquate or the time being.

This is a summer enclosurea at the moment. I have gotten great insights about UV-premeable housing which could lengthen the time the tortoise can spend in his pen getting adequate UV and heat in a natural way. Of course we have the basking grill and UV lamp in the tortoise table, but Trust research really is quite convincing that a more natural setup is better. There is a cold summer hut, but we will add a largish glass-covered part to his enclosure. where he can enjoy UV and heat early in the spring when outside condidtions are adequate for quick hibernation really. The same about autumn.

The garden shed has a protruding roof, so under it it is really dry. I placed the hut and some drought-toderant grasses there for protedtion. There are bushes on the sides all around, and there are two giant poles with several varieties of honeysuckle on each. They climb to enormous heights and spread a sweet smell all over the gardern while florwerig profucely for three months.... A bliss really (and eatable for torts)

The terrain is quite hilly and full of edible plantings of all kinds. We will have to think of a cover to protect from crows and squirrels, and I personally think a row of fishing lines or a fishing net sould suffice. We are not battling lions of hippos here...
Kaarina Rantala
Testudo marginata born 9/2013 named Bolt
Finland husband and two boys Roy 5 and Dan 3
No previous experience of tortoises
Professional gardener and landscape designer my company: www.puutarhapalvelucreative.fi
Kaarina.rantala

Postby lynnedit » Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:56 am

That looks wonderful! I can believe that you had to rush.
Lynne
Horsfields 0:3:0
Pacific NW, US
lynnedit

Postby Kaarina.rantala » Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:00 am

Yeap, and now it is too cold already. Tempereatures are around 0`C. But at least it has been started, now I can spend the winter scratching my head about protection and UV permeable low "greenhouse"...
Kaarina Rantala
Testudo marginata born 9/2013 named Bolt
Finland husband and two boys Roy 5 and Dan 3
No previous experience of tortoises
Professional gardener and landscape designer my company: www.puutarhapalvelucreative.fi
Kaarina.rantala

Previous

Return to Housing and Habitat Design